axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Davis <...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: accessing methods in a module
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:39:26 GMT
I suspect that moving all utils (from all modules) into the kernel isn't
an option  :-)

thanks
-Doug
STSM  |  Web Services Architect  |  IBM Software Group
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM T/L 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

"David Illsley" <davidillsley@gmail.com>
02/15/2007 03:49 AM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org, dims@apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: accessing methods in a module

Hi Doug,
The example you picked actually happened... did you know that? The
toOM/fromOM for EndpointReference are now in the kernel module so they
are available to everyone. The reason I did't push for services to be
able to access classes in mars is because it would still be a
development time headache to persuade my favoured IDE to look inside a
jar in a mar.

David

> Doug,
>
> Come to think of it. i think If you place the mar file in WEB-INF/lib.
> The module is loaded and the code in there is available to services.
> Need to test it of course...
>
> -- dims
>
> On 2/14/07, Doug Davis <dug@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > If I have a module that exposes some static utility methods - what is
the
> > way axis2 developers are supposed to model that?
> > For example, let's say a popular module like WS-Addressing were to
expose
> > some utility method to convert a chunk of XML into an EPR.  Clearly
logic
> > that falls within the WS-Addressing module's domain but useful for
more than
> > just the module itself.  Applications (on the client and/or server)
may need
> > this kind of utility for their own purposes.  From my understanding,
the
> > module classloading logic in axis2 is such that if I wanted to expose
these
> > static methods I would need to duplicate the appropriate jar files. In
> > other words, I need to copy the jars from the .mar file out into the
normal
> > classloader path - e.g. WEB-INF/lib.  If correct, this seems less then
> > friendly since from the application's point of view, once the module
is
> > engaged they may wonder why those classes are not available to be used
- and
> > this would mean that module developers would need to package their
code in
> > such a way that jars could easily be extracted for reuse outside of
the
> > module w/o duplicating all jars (and they would need to communicate
which
> > jars need to be copied in their docs).
> >
> >  thanks
> >  -Doug
> >  STSM  |  Web Services Architect  |  IBM Software Group
> >  (919) 254-6905  |  IBM T/L 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com
>

> --
> Davanum Srinivas :: http://wso2.org/ :: Oxygen for Web Services
Developers