axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Davis <...@us.ibm.com>
Subject accessing methods in a module
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:06:12 GMT
If I have a module that exposes some static utility methods - what is the
way axis2 developers are supposed to model that?
For example, let's say a popular module like WS-Addressing were to expose
some utility method to convert a chunk of XML into an EPR.  Clearly logic
that falls within the WS-Addressing module's domain but useful for more
than just the module itself.  Applications (on the client and/or server)
may need this kind of utility for their own purposes.  From my
understanding, the module classloading logic in axis2 is such that if I
wanted to expose these static methods I would need to duplicate the
appropriate jar files.  In other words, I need to copy the jars from the
.mar file out into the normal classloader path - e.g. WEB-INF/lib.  If
correct, this seems less then friendly since from the application's point
of view, once the module is engaged they may wonder why those classes are
not available to be used - and this would mean that module developers
would need to package their code in such a way that jars could easily be
extracted for reuse outside of the module w/o duplicating all jars (and
they would need to communicate which jars need to be copied in their
docs).

thanks
-Doug
STSM  |  Web Services Architect  |  IBM Software Group
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM T/L 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com