axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "David Illsley" <davidills...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] AXIS2-2120 Metadata Exchange support [Moved discussion to dev list as requested]"
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:09:22 GMT
Hi Gee,
As a start, can you give a quick rundown here of the exact specs
you're trying to support (I see mention of MEX and WS-RT?) and the
main interfaces you've introduced and why?

Cheers,
David

On 08/02/07, Gee Chia <geechia@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi, All:
> I moved the discussion in JIRA 2120 to dev list as requested by Dims.
> Thanks in advance for your input and comment  for a better MEX support on Axis2.
>

>  Davanum Srinivas [07/Feb/07 06:28 AM]
> Gee,
>
>  Could you please check if you can avoid touching the kernel module. We have some code
here if you want to take a peek at.

>  http://wso2.org/projects/commons/mex
>
>  thanks,
>  dims
>

>  Gee Chia [07/Feb/07 10:38 AM]
> Dims:
>  I appreciate your reminder to consider different implementation alternative.
>
>  During the design and implementation of the metadata exchange solution, I am trying
to consider from different perspectives of how Axis2 users/developers might be using the metadata
exchange code, and also how to fit the solution in the very robust Axis2 architecture - configurable
and easily extensible for supporting different data retrieval implementation, and future data
retrieval requirements. I am hoping to provide a more general data retrieval (exchange) code
base to address WS-MEX specification requirements as well as longer-term needs.

>  a. Supports extensible set of data i.e. not limited to only WSDL, Policy, and Schema.
See http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/dw/specs/ws-rt/ws-rt-spec.pdf for an
example.

>  b. Provides hooks for other mechanisms to store/generate the metadata i.e. allows Axis2
users to implement specialize data retrieval logic instead of using the default Axis2 implementation.
The plug-in data locator is not MEX-specific. It is about how to associate some extra data
with a target web service. MEX is just one way to access to the data locator to perform metadata
exchange.

>  The data retrieval extends in Axis2 kernel is to provide support for data associated
with a service, and to provide a way for people to plug-in their own implementation for retrieving
and/or generating data.

>  Again, thanks for your attention.
>  Gee Chia
>
> Davanum Srinivas [07/Feb/07 12:58 PM]
> Gee,
>
>  As a general rule, we *prefer* to talk about "design and implementation" here on the
axis-dev@ list :) Especially if it affects the kernel module. Let me review this a bit more
and get back to you.