axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] Pinging capability to services deployed in Axis2
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:40:54 GMT
Bill

Maybe I misunderstood the discussion, but I thought we had the
following approach in mind.

1) Implement a ping module. This does its best to let you know if the
service is up.
2) Add a new interface (e.g. PingableMR) that MR's may implement. This
allows the ping module to ask the MR if the service is up. (better
than just the module's answer). For example the MR may try to new up
an instance of the Service class (if that is appropriate) to ensure
classloading is working.
3) The MR that implements the PingableMR interface can see if the
service implements the PingableService interface. If this is the case
then the MR will call that method. This will allow the service itself
to test things (such as connections to databases, classloading,
whatever). This is the best test.

Unless you deploy the Ping module then none of this is exposed.

Paul

On 2/12/07, Bill Nagy <nagy@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
> [I'm a little late to the conversation but anyways...]
>
> I vote against extending the MessageReceiver interface -- unless you go
> to the service itself (i.e. actually invoke part of its logic,) you're
> going to end up with responses whose meanings you can't interpret (e.g.
> "This service said that it was up, but it's using the Axis2 programming
> model so that means ..., and this service said that it was up, but it's
> using the JAX-WS programming model so that means ..., and this service
> said that it was up, but I have no idea what it's using so....)  If you
> want true service status, then implement that as part of your exposed
> interface.
>
> On the other hand, I think that implementing 'ping' as a module that
> exposes a 'ping' operation is a fine idea; what you would get is a
> consistent answer -- whether or not the service is 'available' from the
> runtime's perspective.  That's what the pinging a machine's network
> interface gives you -- the answer to whether or not the pinged interface
> is active.
>
> -Bill

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle