axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Angel Todorov" <>
Subject Re: [axis2] Pinging capability to services deployed in Axs2
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:40:46 GMT
Hi all,

a service in the Axis2 may not even have any implementation class. It
is very difficult to get any value out of the pinging in terms of
reaching a message receiver. The best and most guaranteed way to check
the status of a service is to actually invoke it with a request, which
is known to produce little overhead on the business logic - predefined
request/response, i.e a request to which a service business logic (not
necessarily a class!) will always respond with an echo.

If the ping functionality (described above , even to the MR level)
doesn't work in 99 % of the cases either the whole Axis2 is down or
the service is simply not deployed  or corrupted (faulty).

As for statistics: There may be a "handler" which gathers such
statistics and routes requests (not in the DNS level as one would
normally do clustering) but that's more useful in the situation where
you'd like to have some form of load-balancing or failover. Statistics
will show you history/previous invocations, not the state of that
service at the moment of a new invocation.

What Dennis suggests is useful, but in reaility there may be
situations where the service is randomly invoked by clients with
crappy soap header / body (think about bots & worms or developers of
web service clients in an open WS environment),   to which a fault is
produced, and this doesn't mean that the service is "inoperative", if
a "proper" client knows exactly what he wants from the service. The
whole problem with the SOAP faults actually lies in this that, you can
never know how a service implementor will manage and create SOAP
faults - will this only be done in case of a real business logic
error, or will this happen if the client sends crap, or even for
Exceptions which can be managed internally by the logic.