axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] Pinging capability to services deployed in Axs2
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:26:56 GMT
In my experience the individual operations of a service generally use
the same backend functions. This generally means that either all
operations are working properly, or nothing of any significance is
working properly. It's possible to do things differently, grouping a
bunch of unrelated functionality into a single service, but I have a
hard time understanding the benefit of doing this.

If there *are* different groups of operations within the service, I'd
think it would make more sense to allow the user to define names for the
groups and pass that group name. So for instance, if someone combined
air, car, and hotel reservations in a single service while using
separate backend systems to process each type of reservation, they could
support ping("air"), ping("car"), and ping("hotel") for clients that
only needed one particular function.

So I just don't see the point in taking this down to the operation
level. It seems to me that doing so adds a lot of complexity to the
handling of the ping without much added value.

  - Dennis