axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanjesh Pathak" <>
Subject RE: accessing methods in a module
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:43:06 GMT
Will this still work if there are different versions of jars in different
modules? That is, Module1 has myJar-1.0.jar and Module2 has myJar-1.1.jar?

From: Doug Davis []
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: accessing methods in a module

  It could be but for some reason it feels different.  I have this image in
my head that when I create a *.mar file its a self contained unit of
functionality and people can move it around as needed.  Not unlike a *.jar
file.  Its a collection of pieces needed for a particular piece of
functionality. In this case the functionality is for 'axis' and the scope
under which it works is 'axis'.  Now, I agree that perhaps the classes in a
*.mar need to be scoped in some way - for example, perhaps not all modules
are engaged for a particular invocation of a service, so in those situations
I can understand why the classes in that module would be hidden.  However,
in cases where the module is engaged shouldn't the classes within that
module be visible?  IMO, the turning on of a module is akin to adding a jar
file to your classpath. But I could be thinking about modules incorrectly.
  I agree that I could create a shared utility jar but then if feels like I
lose some of the benefits of having a *.mar in the first place. Having a
single package that I can drop into my axis environment w/o having to also
carry around secondary set of jar files to work around classloader issues
just feels less than optimal - from a usability perspective.

STSM  |  Web Services Architect  |  IBM Software Group
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM T/L 444-6905  |

"Manoj Khangaonkar" <>
02/15/2007 02:43 PM

Please respond to

Re: accessing methods in a module

Is this problem any different from any other code re-use problem with says
EJB jars or WEB wars , Service aars ?
In most of these cases - an "application" classloader with load the classes
in the jar/war. So classes
in 1 jar/war are not visible to others.
Any utility classes that need to be shared - are first packaged as utility
jars. But the utility jar needs to
be copied and packaged with each EJB jar/WEB war that needs to use the
utility classes.