axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Issues with the current code base
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:03:59 GMT
On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 06:10 -0800, Bill Nagy wrote:
> Hi Rajith,
>
> Usage of the serialization is/will be configurable through Sandesha --
> Matt said that he would be adding code to do that (if it isn't there
> already.)  If the serialization doesn't get invoked, then all that will
> occur will be a few no-op method invocations.
>
> I don't agree with point 5 being a "definite no no."  I believe that it
> is a matter of personal preference and if the author of the code
> believes that it makes it easier to read and doesn't create issues then
> so be it.  Any reasonable editor today will have no difficulty locating
> the definition if you need to look at it.

I disagree- as an open source effort we should write in ways that
everyone can easily read and understand. These conventions are not
tailorable for personal preference!

It seems to me that most people declare variables at the top and methods
below. Is that such a hard convention to accept?

> As I said, I certainly welcome any concerned party to show me (in
> hard/accurate numbers) where the code does not perform and it will be
> addressed.

IMO its everyone's responsibility to make sure Axis2 performs well.
Telling someone else to run perf tests, do profiling and then point out
the place to fix is silly .. that person might as well fix it. Can't Ann
write some tests and check the perf and confirm all is koshure??

I'd prefer to be having this conversation with Ann .. not that I don't
like to chat with you Bill ;-)).

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.