axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Barrett <barre...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2][jaxws] Splitting off building of metadata (org.apache.axis2.jaxws.description package)
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:24:48 GMT
Howdy Dims,

I think that's a good idea.  If possible, I would like to leave the JAX-WS
spec'd interfaces in the Description package, along with the JSR-181
spec'd interfaces, and split on any JAX-WS implementation-specific classes
such as the ClientConfigurationFactory you mentioned.  What I mean by
JAX-WS spec'd interfaces are essentially the annotation interfaces such as
javax.xml.ws.WebServiceProvider.  If we try to refactor those out, then
we'll have to layer the JSR-181 and JAX-WS annotation processing, and that
seems like a lot of unnecessary work.  In any case, the Description layer
needs to function with only JSR-181 annotations specified (i.e. not rely
on the presence of JSR-224 annotations).  There may be some work in that
area.

There are two other areas of work still remaining in the Description layer
that I've been trying to get to:
1) We need a "java reflection to DescriptionBuilderComposite" converter.
This would take java classes and build up the DBC.
2) Refactor the client-side Description processing to use DBC instead of
direct Java reflection.

Once (1) is done, it could be used as an example of how to write other
converters, for example to go from some annotation byte-scanner to DBC.
Regarding (2), you'll see in the current Description code that there are
two processing paths, one which uses DBC (this is the server side) and one
which uses Java reflection (this is the client side); once (1) is done,
then all the code should be refactored to use only DBC.

Thanks,
Jeff

IBM Software Group - WebSphere Web Services Development
Phone: 512-838-4587 or Tie Line 678-4587
Internet e-mail and Sametime ID: barrettj@us.ibm.com

"Davanum Srinivas" <davanum@gmail.com>
12/08/2006 08:37 PM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

"Axis developer list" <axis-dev@ws.apache.org>
cc

Subject
[Axis2][jaxws] Splitting off building of metadata
(org.apache.axis2.jaxws.description package)

Folks,

The description package which builds the metadata model from
annotations etc is pretty much standalone except for some leakage of
jaxws stuff (example jaxws.ClientConfigurationFactory in
ServiceDescriptionImpl.java) and some utility classes. What say we
bite the bullet and split it out? If we do that we could think about
reusing that code to build annotations based metadata for use say in
our RPC*MessageReceiver. Basically the description package deals with
JSR 181 and it would be good to split that out. I can help...

Thanks,
dims