axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tony Dean" <Tony.D...@sas.com>
Subject RE: service lifecycle
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:50:39 GMT
Thanks for confirming...

-----Original Message-----
From: Deepal Jayasinghe [mailto:deepal@opensource.lk]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:47 PM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: service lifecycle

Hi Tony;

Tony Dean wrote:

>Can someone answer this question for me...
>
>Since there appears to be a bug in startUp()... ie., the service is not fully initialized
by the time startUp() is called (AxisService.getFileName() returns null).

Pls create a JIRA for this , then I can fix that b4 next release (since at the moment we only
fix the JIRAs ) .

> I was hoping to just avoid startUp() / shutDown() and just use init() / destroy() since
my service is using "application" scope.  Being that my service is application scoped, there
should only be one session created; hence, init() / destroy() called only once.  It appears
that init() is called during service deployment which is good for me since the one-time initialization
that I am doing in init() will get executed before the first actual service request.  I just
wanted to confirm this behavior with the experts since I do not want one-time initialization
overhead to be added to the first client's request.  Any comments?

Yes , if you deploy the service in application scope then the init method will be called at
the time when you deploy the service and not when it receive the first request.