axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanka Samaranayke <ssa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Does Axis2 Still only support single alternative WS-Policy?
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 06:56:12 GMT

Tony Dean wrote:
> on the subject of policies...
>
> how do you attach a policy to a policy subject?

There are two ways to do it. You can add policies to services.xml at
the proper level.

Method1:

eg. services.xml

<service name="foo">

<operation name="bar">

<wsp:Policy wsu:Id="urn:bar-policy">
<wsp:Policy>

</operation>

</service>

About configuration will appear in the <wsdl:operation> in the
<wsdl:binding> of the generated WSDL document.

Method2:

Attach the policies in the WSDL document and include it in the
service.aar/META-INF/ folder. The attached policies will automatically
injected to the AxisDescription hierarchy and the generated WSDL will
also include these policies plus whatever you put in the services.xml.

However if you need you the original you need to attach all the
policies only in the WDSL and set the <parameter
name="useOriginalwsdl">true</parameter> in <service> element s.t. it
will show the original WSDL.

> I remember seeing something about adding policy configuration to
> services.xml file (what's the syntax here) which would then be
> automatically added to the wsdl that gets generated. I have
> configured axis2 not to generate my wsdl (i.e., useOriginalWSDL) so
> I guess I would need to add policy attachments to the wsdl myself
> so that this information can be used by potential clients is the
> only way supported such that client and server can negotiate what
> policies are being inforced?

There is no standard policy negotiation method between the server and
the client. The client can chose any policy alternative they want and
the server is accept any messages the adhere any of the policy
alternatives. (Here the assumption is, any policy alternative exposed
is distinguishable by observing incoming messages)

> isn't there a more dynamic way with WS-MetadataExchange? please
> help me understand all of the possible ways that are available for
> this type of negotiation.

AFAIK, WS-MetadataExchange is way of retrieving policies that are
applicable for a particular endpoint. It doesn't provide a mechanism
to tell the server about the Policy alternative that the client has
chosen out of the available Policy alternatives for the endpoint.

> also on the server and/or client side, what is the mechanism for
> individual modules to perform their assertions... that is, if I
> have a security assertion listed in policy configuration, I'm
> assuming that the rampart mar better be engaged and the engine will
> pass control to it and let it handle any security assertions. It
> will then add any pertinent information to the message context? is
> there any documentation on this type of interaction?
>

> thanks.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Mike Michniewski
> [mailto:mjmichn@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:04
> AM To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org Subject: [Axis2] Does Axis2 Still
> only support single alternative WS-Policy?
>
> Hello,
>
> The page http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_0/WS_policy.html says "single
> alternative (Multiple policy alternatives are not supported).",
> but this page is associated with Axis2 version 1, and version 1.1
> is now out.
>
> Looking to do an intersection of two policies with at least one of
> the two policies having multiple options/ more than one
> alternative.
>
> If the multiple alternatives option is still on the to-do list,
> what is the anticipated completion date?
>
> Mike

- --
Sanka Samaranayake
WSO2 Inc.