axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Request for XML Filter (AXIS2-1085)
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:34:26 GMT
On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 08:34 -0500, R J Scheuerle Jr wrote:

> A uniquenes check requires the inspection of the entire message.
> If a uniquess check is performed with a handler solution, there are
> several undesirable outcomes:
> 1) the OM tree will be traversed, which is expensive.
> 2) the OM tree will be expanded and cached, which kills performance.
>
> If a uniquess check is performed with a filter and handler solution:
> 1) The filter can inspect the StAX events as they are read. The filter
> will not affect the caching of the OM tree. The filter will not pull
> StAX events.
> 2) The filter will store its results on the MessageContext.

The second point is what's fundamentally inconsistent with Axis2's
architecture. If you want to introduce a StAX filter that one's thing.
But doing that and having access to the message context doesn't make
sense: we create an OMElement for the envelope giving just the StAX
stream and then create a message context using that envelope.

If you want a StAX filter then it must be a StAX filter: StAX in, StAX
out. I don't agree with the proposed change because its inconsistent
with the design and appears to mix layers of processing.

Sorry but unless there's more data on what this is I'm -1 on it.

Eran/Ajith/Dims/Deepal/Bill/Glen/ etc., can you comment please? Am I
missing something in this?

Sanjiva.