axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Nicholas L Gallardo <>
Subject Re: [Axis2][Vote] Create a branch for the Axis2 1.1 release
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:04:26 GMT

As already stated, it would be nice to have the ability to have just
releases with fixes vs. forcing users to consume new (and possibly
disruptive) features.

Nicholas Gallardo
WebSphere  -  WebServices Development
Phone: 512-838-1182
Building: 901 / 5G-016

Eran Chinthaka <>
09/13/2006 11:24 PM
Please respond to

Re: [Axis2][Vote] Create a branch for the Axis2 1.1 release

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 10:55 -0700, Bill Nagy wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I would like to propose that we create a branch in Subversion for the
>> 1.1 release (and all future releases) so that we can continue
>> development on the main trunk while the release is occurring.  This
>> would also enable us to make point fixes to each release without
>> requiring that users adopt a whole bag of new features (i.e. the next
>> release) in order to get bug fixes.  (I'm not saying that we will
>> backport all bug fixes, just that having the release branch would
>> us to do so.)
> +1 from me but can we do that a bit closer to the release? Its easier to
> not have to merge too much stuff ..

+1 to Sanjiva's comment. I hope we don't want to make the life harder
for the people who are working hard for the release, by an effort to
make the life easier (is it?) to the rest.

Merging is, at least theorotically, a great idea and a concept. But when
conflicts are coming, practically its a nightmare.

And as Bill suggested, we can *not* do quick releases after minor fixes.
The release process of Axis2 is becoming problematic due to the
dependencies to other projects. So you can not decide at one point, at
least now, and release an Axis2 version. Simple example for you to
understand is releasing Axis2 with SNAPSHOTs. Hope everyone who involved
during past releases can remember the pain we had when once we released
Axis2 with a SNAPSHOT.

Please understand that I'm not opposing Bill's idea. But I know the pain
we are/were going thru whenever we are/were releasing.

-- Chinthaka