axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "David Illsley" <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Options questions
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:43:19 GMT
On 14/09/06, Dennis Sosnoski <> wrote:
> I'm also working on documentation for org.apache.axis2.client.Options,

> and again ran into some questions.
Haven't we all :-(

> Here's the list:
> 1. The COPY_PROPERTIES constant appears to be specifically for use by
> org.apache.axis2.context.AbstractContext? Also, the comment for the
> setProperties(Map) method discusses this flag, but doesn't actually do
> anything relating to it that I can see. I'm thinking the COPY_PROPERTIES
> constant should be moved to org.apache.axis2.context.AbstractContext and
> all mention of it dropped from Options, since it's just one of many
> special options.
> 2. The getProperties() method isn't clear on what should be expected -
> for instance, can the returned map be manipulated directly by the user,
> or is it expected to be read-only? The code seems inconsistent, in that
> if there *are* any properties defined the map is returned directly, but
> if not then a copy of the parent properties map is returned. What is the
> intended use of this method?
> 3. The getRelatesTo(String) method doesn't make any allowance for
> multiple RelatesTo items with the same RelationshipType value. I didn't
> see anything in the WS-Addressing spec that says the RelationshipType
> values have to be unique, so I wonder if we need to worry about this case.
I personally haven't seen anyone use custom RelatesTo headers yet
which is when this would become an issue. Given that and the fact that
getRelationships() provides a way of getting all the relationships
which could then be further processed I'd be tempted to document the
limitation, the fact that you can get all then process yourself and
add a method which returns an array later if it becomes a common use

> 4. The senderTransportProtocol field is only set by a deprecated method
> (setTransportInfo()) and doesn't appear to be used for anything, so it
> seems confusing to have this exposed as part of the API (via the
> getSenderTransportProtocol() method). I suggest deleting the field and
> method.
Sounds pretty useless to me.

> 5. You can add ReferenceParameters using the addReferenceParameter()
> method - but there's no way to get the values, so WS-Addressing handling
> has apparently not been implemented. If we're going to have the add
> method present, we should implement handling.
Ouch, that's not very good. We have addressing support but the correct
and imho best way of adding reference parameters to the outbound
message is to add them to the To EPR. As such I'd propose removing
this method entirely or at the very least mark it as deprecated and
document the fact that is doesn't work

> 6. Somewhat related to (5), the isManageSessions() and
> setManageSessions() methods set a flag which is in turn used by the
> addReferenceParameters() methods of
> org.apache.axis2.description.OutOnlyAxisOperation and
> OutInAxisOperation, but it's somewhat obscure to me what these are
> doing. Can anyone give the intended purpose of this manageSessions
> property of Options?
I think it's to do with Axis2 Session Management [1] but I'm not sure

> 7. General comment on the design of this class - we've got a mix of
> values that are accessed using specific methods
> (get/setSoapVersionURI(), getSetTimeOutInMilliSeconds(), etc.) along
> with general properties that are stored in the map. It'd probably be
> cleaner and simpler to just store *all* property values in the map,
> using the current defined get/set methods simply as convenience methods
> to access values with predefined keys ("SOAPVersionURI" and
> "TimeOutInMilliSeconds", for instance).
While I agree it would simplfy things a lot and produce a cleaner
Options class I believe that there is a performance hit to using a Map
over direct access that we probably want to avoid for a number of the
properties which are used frequently on the golden path. I've got a
pretty dumb test attached which shows there is an impact for using a
map over direct access:

Set using map. 100000000 Iterations. 12718 millis.
Set direct. 100000000 Iterations. 6844 millis.
Get using map. 100000000 Iterations. 7438 millis.
Get direct. 100000000 Iterations. 4828 millis.

but I'm not an expert in performance testing by any stretch of the
imagination. It might be worth a trade-off but I'd like to see
relative performance figures for an Axis2 invocation test before
supporting it.