axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject RE: [axis2] Improvements to Service life cycle in handling
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:28:36 GMT
On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 13:50 -0400, Tony Dean wrote:
> I agree with your descriptions below... but, can you clarify in the
>  case of ServiceLifecycle (startup, shutdown) why you need to specify
>  the class that implements them.  Why can't all the lifecycles
>  (ServiceContextLifecyle (or SessionContextLifecycle),
>  OperationContextLifecycle, and ServiceLifecycle be implemented in the
>  service impl class: <service name="">   <parameter
>  name="ServiceClass">com.xxx.myImplClass</parameter> </service>
>
> com.xxx.myImplClass can choose to implement all or none of the lifecycle methods.

The problem is that the service lifecycle methods are invoked upon
service load and unload. At that time there's no instance of the service
class around (unless the scope of the service was application in which
case it could). As such having these methods in the service class
creates an awkward lifecycle for the service class itself. (I'm
presuming that you don't want it new'd and free'd just to invoke the
service lifecycle methods.)

Sanjiva.