axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Nagy <n...@watson.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2][Vote] Create a branch for the Axis2 1.1 release
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:43:02 GMT
Hi all,

There's actually a good description of the why and how's of creating a
release branch in the Subversion book
(http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.branchmerge.commonuses.patterns.release)

I don't understand why folks are saying that figuring out what goes
where is tricky or that the work is that difficult.  I agree with dims
that the RM should be in charge of creating the branch for the release
-- that branch is then the RM's responsibility.  The RM gets to decide
which bug fixes (or features I suppose) get added to the branch after it
is made.

The RM, however, has no more of a vote than anyone else as to what gets
placed into the trunk.  Bug fixes that are made to the release branch
should most likely be committed to the trunk as well, but the RM doesn't
have to be the one that does it.  (If another committer made the change
to the release branch, then they should probably also commit the change
to the trunk.)  Moving changes between branches with subversion is
relatively trivial, and, unless the release drags on, I can't imagine
that the code bases will diverge that much.

-Bill