axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Chamikara Jayalath" <chamikar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] An approach for clustering Axis2
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:34:25 GMT
Hi Ajith,

Please see my comments below.

On 8/25/06, Ajith Ranabahu <ajith.ranabahu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> This seems to be a very good proposal and +1 to go ahead. I am +1
> *not* to cluster operation contexts and message contexts since the
> overhead will be enormous and we would probably loose the advantage of
> the clustering!
> Anyway have you guys thought about the following issues ? (I'm not
> sure whether these details are already discussed or not. If so bear
> with me :))
>
> 1. How would the replication happen ?
>   How much resources would be used for clustering depends partly on
> the mechanism we select to transfer the state - and of course this
> brings up the issue whether the contexts are serializable or not
> (Since our contexts are 'unrestricted' service authors can put all
> sorts of junk there) ! As Rajith suggested we can use something like
> JGroups or Tribes underneath or do we go for a relevant WS
> specification ?
>   I believe there was an idea of using RSS for doing this!

The actual replication mechanism will depend on the ClusterManager
implementation. The ClusterManager is just a abstraction which is used to
make Axis2 free of the underneath clustering technology. The chellange is to
come up with a proper interface which will leverage a certain implementation
to do replication with minimum restrictions.

It is not needed for Contexts themselves to be serializable, nodes will
simply be notifying each other in certain events like context creation and
context destruction. Other nodes can simply create and destroy similar
contexts within them. But when it comes to context properties this can be a
proplem for certain clustering technologies. Chathura did a prototype
ClusterManager implementation in JGroups. I guess he can explain more on
this.

2.  How can you deploy a service in the cluster ?
>   Since we are using a remote repository the ability to just drop in
> an archive to the remote repo would not suffice (I suppose the lst
> file needs to be modified too). This might be  problematic if we have
> a hot deployment mechanism.

Yes this is a problem. In the first time the URLBasedAxisConfigurator can be
used to get the data from the remote repository. But new resources added to
the repository (for e.g. services) will not be reflected in the Nodes.

One mechanism may be to ask the users to maintain resource data in a file.
For example users will have to update a services.lst file after adding a
service to the repository. We should be able to ask the Hot Deployer to
update itself based on theses lists.

I'll come up with more comments when I get enough time to think
> through the matters :)

Waiting for them :-)

Chamikara