axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Davanum Srinivas" <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] JSR 181 support
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 16:17:51 GMT
Nick,

Could you please help by starting a wiki to capture the discussion /
outcome(s)? my head is spinning :)

thanks,
dims

On 8/3/06, Nicholas L Gallardo <nlgallar@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Eddie,
>
> Thanks for your weighing in here...  I'll respond to your notes and Rajith's at the same
time.  I've included Rajith's comments in <RA> blocks and Eddie's in <EKO> blocks.
 I apologize if the note is a bit unreadable.  I couldn't figure out a better way to include
all of the comments.

> ** Exposing the annotated endpoint as either JAX-WS or Axis2 **
> <RA>A) Expose every JSR 181 annotated POJO as Axis2 endpoint as well as a JAX-WS
endpoint. So we are creating two Axis2 services with one having a Suffix as JAXWS.</RA>

> I think I understand where you are going with this, but it still leaves us with the issue
of which service to target as a request is coming in.  If all we have is the inbound message
as the identifier, there's no way to tell from just that whether that message should be targeted
to the Axis2 endpoint or the JAX-WS endpoint.  Also, I'm generally uncomfortable with configuring
a service twice here.  The goal should be to just produce one configuration instance to reduce
complexity and confusion.

> <RA>B) Allow a services.xml approach where we can explicitly specify the Message
Receiver</RA>

> This approach is probably the easiest, but then prevents us from getting to the ultimate
goal of removing the services.xml completely and just deploying with annotations.  I'm ok
with using this one as a way to get ourselves up and running.

> <EKO>How about a metadata driven approach that uses an annotation to describe how
a service should be exposed?  For example, using something like:

>   @Axis2ServiceBinding(types={ServiceBindingType.NATIVE , ServiceBindingType.JAXWS})
>
> </EKO>
>
> This is certainly another solution that makes sense would be relatively easy, but I don't
believe we'll pass the JAX-WS TCK if we require this additional annotation.  Requiring deployment
descriptors is not a problem since we're not conflicting with anything defined by the spec.

> ** What happens to the other (non JSR-181) deployment info **
> <RA>to be honest that's where I think JSR 181 falls short. The spec has clearly
failed to cater to these scenarios.

> They should have some mechanism to enable security, RM, addressing or Policy stuff
>
> So again I can think of a few solutions here.
> A) as u mentioned, to introduce axis2 specific annotations
> B) or else once service is deployed, use the admin console to engage the modules
> C) Have the services.xml approach to supplement the missing information.
>
> </RA>
>
> <EKO>My $0.02 would be that in the presence of a services.xml file, the annotations
are ignored and services.xml wins.  I agree with the idea of using annotations to wire-up
/ configure custom functionality in Axis -- this metadata could either drive generation of
services.xml or be processed to wire the service at runtime.</EKO>

> Each of Rajith's proposals seem like a suitable way to resolve this.  I don't think they
are mutually exclusive either.  You would just have to be clear about which takes precedence.
 I agree with Eddie's comment that in the presence of a deployment descriptor, that should
win if it overlaps with any of the annotation information.  But, there could be annotated
information that doesn't exist in the in the deployment descriptor should not be ignored.

> ** The scope of WSMService **
> <EKO>True -- today, the WSMService doesn't support this, though it could certainly
be extended to do so.  The goal of WSM was to provide a core set of functionality in three
areas: #1 making it possible to read metadata from a variety of sources (Java5, annogen, XDoclet,
etc) #2 semantic validation of 181 annotations (2) reading annotations from a variety of metadata
sources #3 supporting generation of resources needed for deployment.  All three of these stages
were meant to be pluggable.  The "checking" phase would require verifying the 181 annotations
but could be extended to support additional annotations / checks. The code generation phase
is pluggable and could generate resources for Axis2, JAX-RPC, etc.  All of this would pass
the 181 TCK and still support value-add functionality.  FWIW, we're mostly there today. I'll
take some time in the next day or two to describe this architecture in more detail and send
along a pointer.</EKO>

> I think the pluggability that you are mentioning here is going to be key.  We certainly
need to read metadata from multiple sources as you described.  The tricky part is what we
do with that metadata.  I'm a little confused as to what the semantic checking is that needs
to be done with respect to just 181.  I'll plead ignorance here in that I don't really know
what the 181 TCK will/would test for beyond making sure that the particular annotations are
located in the right places on the classes?  That will certainly be needed and because it's
181 specific, could be burned in to WSM.

> The plugpoint will need to be exploited when it comes time to handle some of the JAX-WS
specific validation of those annotations.  My interpretation of the 181 spec is that it tries
to provide a minimal set of rules about how the annotations should be used and points to the
appropriate spec (JAX-RPC in version 1.0 and JAX-WS in the maintenance release) to handle
the mapping to a WSDL.  So maybe the processing would go something like this:

> Note: the flow described below is one that we're looking at for the JAX-WS client implementation.
>
> 1. The first thing we are given is a WSDL document.  We need to build the metadata based
on just that at first since we may not get any annotation data at all.  This is done using
the WSDL11ToAxisServiceBuilder.

> 2. Next, we'll be given an annotated Service Endpoint Interface, so we need to build
a WSMService from an annotated class
>     - WSM uses whatever annotation technology (annogen, java reflection, apt) it chooses
to read those annotations
>     - While it's building the WSMService from that information, it performs the 181 specific
validation
>     - Then it calls a plug point to handle the programming model specific validation
>
> 3. Once (1) and (2) are complete, we then need to merge the metadata collected from the
annotations in with the WSDL information.  As of now, we'd been thinking of this as a JAX-WS
specific piece and not something that would be in WSM since it's specific to the current implementation
(the info being stored in the AxisService tree) and is based completely on JAX-WS rules.

> So, based on what you mentioned above, I think each of your 1 and 2 items are still applicable.
 The JAX-WS runtime would use items 1 and 2 in the scenario I've outlined.   I'm a little
unclear though on what item 3 is.  Does this mean that WSM would generate an actual deployment
descriptor?

> ** The scope of the JSR-181 TCK **
> <EKO>Yep -- we intend to pass the TCK in which case the semantic checks for "javax.jws"
annotations would remain fixed w.r.t the specification.</EKO>

> I *think* this should be addressed above.  If my understanding of what's being checked
is correct, then I agree.

> I was all over the place there so I hope that makes some amount of sense...  Let me know
if anything needs clarification.

> Thanks,
>
> Nicholas Gallardo
>  WebSphere  -  WebServices Development
>  nlgallar@us.ibm.com
>  Phone: 512-838-1182
>  Building: 901 / 5G-016
>

> "Eddie O'Neil" <ekoneil@gmail.com>
>

> 08/02/2006 10:44 PM
>

> Please respond to
>  axis-dev@ws.apache.org
>

> To axis-dev@ws.apache.org
>
> cc
>

> Subject Re: [Axis2] JSR 181 support
>

> Nicholas / Rajith--
>
>    This is a good discussion.  To frame the rest of my comments, I'll say that I'm not
a JAX-WS expert so if I say something that seems incongruous about 181 vs. JAX-WS below, let's
talk about it.

>    I have been hoping that we could get JSR-181 (WSM) implemented for Axis2 (and Axis1),
"upgrade" the annotations to support the newest version of the specification, and finally
pass the TCK.  I'd assumed that this would align with JAX-WS.  Additionally, the WSM annotation
processors should be extensible enough to add support for additional, Axis-specific annotations
or for the standards.

>    We should also discuss the buildtime vs. runtime annotation processing requirements.
 To date, WSM has focused on the buildtime requirements and relied on a web service stack
to wire / deploy the service.  I'll start a separate thread on this.

>    More comments below marked with "[eko]".
>
>  Eddie
>

>  - I don't yet know how we're going to solve the problem of determining when an annotated
class is intended for JAX-WS deployment vs. Axis2.  Say for instance a service implementation
bean is annotated with just @WebService at the class level and @WebMethod for each of the
methods.  As the deployment is happening, how will we tell whether this is supposed to be
an Axis2 endpoint or a JAX-WS endpoint?  We'll need to know the difference to determine which
message receiver to configure, the JAXWSMessageReceiver or the RPCMessageReceiver (I'm guessing
that's the one that would be used).  Since they are both just annotated beans and neither
implements an interface, I can't figure out what characteristic could be used to distinguish
between the two.

>  [RA]
>  Very Good question.  I currently use the RPCMessageReceiver and  it's exposed as an
Axis2 endpoint. (I  was hoping to sync up with you guys to work on exposing the service as
a JAX-WS endpoint).

>  Now we have two possible solutions for this problem
>  A) Expose every JSR 181 annotated POJO as Axis2 endpoint as well as a JAX-WS endpoint.
So we are creating two Axis2 services with one having a Suffix as JAXWS.

>  Ex. If we have a Greeting.java POJO annotated with JSR 181, after deployment we have
to endpoints
>        a) GreetingService (Axis2 endpoint with RPC message receiver)
>        b) GreetingServiceJAXWS (JAXWS endpoint with JAXWS message receiver)
>
>  B) Allow a services.xml approach where we can explicitly  specify the Message  Receiver
>
>  I prefer option A, but we can definitely make this configurable, so there is a lot of
flexibility here.

>  [eko] How about a metadata driven approach that uses an annotation to describe how a
service should be exposed?  For example, using something like:

>    @Axis2ServiceBinding(types={ServiceBindingType.NATIVE , ServiceBindingType.JAXWS})
>
>  Then, the developer can specify how a service is exposed, and an administration infrastructure
could override this.

> - On the topic of deployment, you have a comment in the code (DeploymentEngine) that
asks whether we can ignore the services.xml if we know we have a set of annotated Java classes.
 While that's the ultimate goal, relying on the JSR-181 annotation data alone will not allow
you to do this.  If the services.xml is ignored, where does the non-WSDL related config information
that was in there come from?  For example, what if I wanted to specify a few module references
to enable WS-Addressing and some custom module that I've built.  If the services.xml is ignored,
then that info is lost.  Unless you defined a way to include that in some custom Axis2 annotations
as well.  That might just be a limitation of the scenario though...

>  [RA] to be honest thats where I think JSR 181 falls short. The spec has clearly failed
to cater to these scenarios.
>  They should have some mechanism to enable security, RM, addressing or Policy stuff
>
>  So again I can think of a few solutions here.
>  A) as u mentioned, to introduce axis2 specific annotations
>  B) or else once service is deployed, use the admin console to engage the modules
>  C) Have the services.xml approach to supplement the missing information.
>
>  [eko] My $0.02 would be that in the presence of a services.xml file, the annotations
are ignored and services.xml wins.  I agree with the idea of using annotations to wire-up
/ configure custom functionality in Axis -- this metadata could either drive generation of
services.xml or be processed to wire the service at runtime.

> Some comments from a JAX-WS perspective...
>
>  - While the WSMService provides the abstraction for the JSR-181 view of the data, it
cannot currently capture the JAX-WS specific annotation data.  JAX-WS defines a set of annotations
on top of what is included in JSR-181 that are required for some of the pretty common scenarios.
 Example: for a doc/lit wrapped pattern service, there are @RequestWrapper and @ResponseWrapper
annotations that are required for any method that implements the wrapped pattern.

>  [RA] I see  your point here. Eddie will probably try to answer this question from the
WSM side.

>  [eko] True -- today, the WSMService doesn't support this, though it could certainly
be extended to do so.  The goal of WSM was to provide a core set of functionality in three
areas: #1 making it possible to read metadata from a variety of sources (Java5, annogen, XDoclet,
etc) #2 semantic validation of 181 annotations (2) reading annotations from a variety of metadata
sources #3 supporting generation of resources needed for deployment.  All three of these stages
were meant to be pluggable.  The "checking" phase would require verifying the 181 annotations
but could be extended to support additional annotations / checks. The code generation phase
is pluggable and could generate resources for Axis2, JAX-RPC, etc.  All of this would pass
the 181 TCK and still support value-add functionality.  FWIW, we're mostly there today. I'll
take some time in the next day or two to describe this architecture in more detail and send
along a pointer.

> - The WSMServiceFactory has code in it that handles some of the mapping rules built in
to it.  I didn't dig through in great detail, but noticed a few places where it resolves issues
between the implementation class annotations and the SEI annotations.  My preference would
be to have all of the rules for JAX-WS built in to our JAX-WS layer.  If we need to make changes
in there, they become self-contained.  The rules for JAX-WS are well-defined and should be
strictly maintained.  I would feel a little uncomfortable with the possibility that those
could change in WSM to support a different effort and could break our JAX-WS compliance.

>  [RA] Again Eddie from WSM will answer the question.  AFIK they are comitted to support
and be spec complient to  JSR 181. So I don't think they will arbitarily change code without
giving due consideration to compliance. Also they are fully aware that we are using WSM to
build our stuff.

>  [eko] Yep -- we intend to pass the TCK in which case the semantic checks for "javax.jws"
annotations would remain fixed w.r.t the specification.

> - The utility that you have for scanning the classes with ASM could be leveraged in JAX-WS.
 We really just need something to quickly tell us whether or not this class has annotations.
 The rest of the processing could then be done with whatever other tool.

>  [RA] ASM is supposed to be a fast approach to reading class info without actually loading
the class into memory. So yes we could leverage that.

>  [eko]  That would be very cool.  One point here about buildtime vs. runtime annotation
processing -- my $0.02 is that it's important to re-use the same checking logic for both buildtime
and runtime.  Would rather not maintain two copies of this code.  :)

> A bit of background on what we're doing in the JAX-WS layer.  Right now the only place
we're doing any form of annotations processing is the in the client side code that Nikhil
has built up for the dynamic proxy.  This is all using reflection and just been scaffolding
to get us up and runnig.  The longer term goal is what was originally called MDQ, but was
recently renamed as the ServiceDescriptionFactory.  This will be able to take in annotated
Java and build the JAX-WS runtime model (which uses the AxisService and then includes the
JAX-WS specific info).  The ServiceDescriptionFactory will also eventually be able to merge
the Java annotation information with the WSDL info that may or may not have already existed
to produce a single runtime config.  The only problem is that this all has to be done keep
the JAX-WS specific rules in mind.  It isn't generic enough to support a separate model for
Axis2.

>  [RA] So you are proposing to bring everything under one umbrella instead of having different
models to provide the annotation (meta-date) processing.
>          Again lets wait and see what Dims and others have to say about this. (Sorry
I am not ducking the question :-) .....)
> Hope that makes sense...
>

>  Nicholas Gallardo
>  WebSphere  -  WebServices Development
>  nlgallar@us.ibm.com
>  Phone: 512-838-1182
>  Building: 901 / 5G-016
>

>  "Rajith Attapattu" <rajith77@gmail.com>
>
> 08/01/2006 06:10 PM
>

> Please respond to
>  axis-dev@ws.apache.org
>

> To axis-dev@ws.apache.org
>
> cc
>

> Subject Re: [Axis2] JSR 181 support
>

>  Jeff,
>
>  Thanks for your comments on the patch.
>  Yes the validating against an existing WSDL is still outstanding along with the following.
>  (WSM does provide some functionality around this and I hope to leverage that)
>
>  I have used the WSM code to process all annotations defined in the spec and build a
WSM Model.
>  However when creating an Axis Service based on the WSM model the informaiton provided
by the following annotations are still not used.

@WebService and @WebMethod and @OneWay
>  4) Deploy the service.
>
>  Hope this helps you to understand the patch more.
>
>  Please feel free to ask more questions.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Rajith
>

>  On 8/1/06, Jeff Barrett <barrettj@us.ibm.com > wrote:
>
>  Hello Rajith,
>
>  From looking at the patch, I was wondering how WSDL and annotations will interact with
each other.

>  It seems to me (from looking at the JSR-181 spec and the JAX-WS spec) that annotations
might augment information specified in the WSDL.  Specificaly, from JSR-181 (version 1.0 June
1, 2005) section 2.2.2 "Start with WSDL" states: "...JSR-181 annotations supply implementation
details that are left out of the original WSDL contract, such as binding or service location
information."

>  It seems that building the AxisService from JSR-181 annotations needs to also consider
(and merge as well as possibly validate against) WSDL if there is any.

>  Thanks,
>  Jeff
>
>  IBM Software Group - WebSphere Web Services Development
>  Phone: 512-838-4587 or Tie Line 678-4587
>  Internet e-mail and Sametime ID: barrettj@us.ibm.com
>

>  "Rajith Attapattu" <rajith77@gmail.com >
>
> 07/27/2006 02:45 PM
>

> Please respond to
>  axis-dev@ws.apache.org
>

> To axis-dev@ws.apache.org
>
> cc
>

> Subject Re: [Axis2] JSR 181 support
>

>  Nicholas,
>
>  So sorry for the late reply, somehow I have missed it :-(
>
>  >>Sorry to jump in the middle here, but can you explain what the meta annotation
is and from which spec files it would be removed?  I'm assuming you're talking >>about
the JSR-181 spec annotations declarations, but just wanted to make sure.

which describes the @WebService annotation.
>  However it's illegal to modify a spec file without permission, so what we did was to
remove the annotation after we generated the necessary AnnoBeans.