axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Davanum Srinivas" <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis] Load Web Service on Startup
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:47:13 GMT
Tony,

I am with you on this. There should be a way to do this.

-- dims

On 7/31/06, Tony Dean <Tony.Dean@sas.com> wrote:
> I will deploy my service in "application" scope because I want to have only one instance
of my service running.

> The idea of "load on startup" is the same principle used by a servlet.  You set an option
so that when the container starts your application is also started.  Otherwise, your application
is started on demand when the first request is sent.  This will make the first request slower
than the rest.

> I can live with that, but why should we?

therefore  I am 0- on adding a new option.

> Let's say we agree to do this , when we initialize the service implementation class what
should we pass into that method ?  if the answer is ServiceContext then we are going to have
problems.

> btw I need to clarify one more thing (I think I am missing something), do you want to
deploy your service in scope other than application and you want to have only one instance
of service implementation class ?

> Thanks
> Deepal
>

> Tony Dean wrote:
>
> >I think users will want an option (load-on-startup=on|off) to either load scope="application"
services on container startup or upon the first request.  I personally would want my service
loaded and ready to go before the first request is issued.  Users will certainly be willing
to take the hit waiting for the container to initialize rather than during a real-time request.