axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Eddie O'Neil" <ekon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Annotation parsing framework for Axis2 (Re: [wsm] a plan)
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:03:07 GMT
  That's certainly an option, though it means that we'd need to rework
the annotation checker which is what captures the interpretation of
the 181 spec to move it away from using Mirror.

  The value in Mirror / apt is that it's supported in Eclipse tooling
-- you can get syntax and semantic checking on @WebService
annotations, for example.  Personally, I think that's valuable.  A
purely annogen based approach won't be embeddable inside of Eclipse.

  I still think we can use annogen as a way to drive a Mirror-like API
that can be used at both runtime / build time.  But, like I said, I'm
open.  Do you want to just move to annogen, or can we consider this as
an alternative?

Eddie

> Eddie,
>
> As i was telling Rajith, we'd like to try annogen based runtime
> annotation processing to start with.
>
> -- dims
>
> On 6/21/06, Eddie O'Neil <ekoneil@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Nicholas --
> >
> >   Basically, yes.  :)  WSM will handle the complexity around the specification's
details regarding the @WebService annotation, SEIs, and WSDL binding.  There's code living
here:

> >      http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/beehive/wsm/trunk/src/core/org/apache/beehive/wsm/processor/checker/Jsr181AnnotationChecker.java
> >
> > that implements most of this (there are a few holes...).  The annotation processor
walks an @WebService annotated class / interface and produces a model that describes the service
(WsmService).  This POJO can then be used for code generation, to update deployment descriptors,
or for auto-wiring of a web service in the VM at runtime.  The latter is how this works for
Axis1.

> >   Currently, WSM is implemented to use Java 5's Mirror infrastructure in order to
execute annotation processing at build time.  We have a layer that basically duplicates the
Mirror APIs and wraps them so that it's possible to support XDoclet / annogen / asm, so it
should be possible to support either  1.5 or 1.4 and annotation processing at buildtime or
at runtime.  Certainly open to other suggestions if you have them -- if we moved away from
Mirror altogether, there would be some work to do to rewrite some things, but it wouldn't
be rocket science.  :)

> > Eddie
> >

> > On 6/19/06, Nicholas L Gallardo <nlgallar@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Rajith,
> > >
> > > From a JAX-WS perspective, the @WebService annotation does introduce some challenges
when it comes to determining what the interface of a Web service will be.  From my interpretation,
which is just that, it doesn't dictate as much how the annotation should be handled at runtime
as much as it does instruct how the annotation affects the Java to WSDL mapping.  I think
the assumption after that is, the system will then do whatever it needs to configure itself
to fulfill the contract defined by that WSDL.  If I understand correctly what Dim's has proposed,
this is the piece that your WSMToAxisServiceBuilder will fulfill.  The rest is making sure
that the information gets relayed to Axis2 correctly.

> > > With respect to just the @WebService annotation, and not the annotations processing
as a whole, it seems like you might encounter a few scenarios that could be tricky.  I don't
know enough about the specifics of WSM though, so it may resolve some of the headaches for
you.

> > > - When a class is annotated with @WebService, any of the public methods available
on that class are to be exposed as an operation in a Web service.  If that particular annotation
instance has the WSDL document location specified, then we need to do some bit of processing/validation
to make sure the public methods support what's defined in the WSDL.  Or.... does WSM just
do that for you?

> > > - Because of the "serviceEnpdointInterface" property on the @WebService annotation,
the above case becomes a little more complex.  JAX-WS has a notion of squashing that SEI,
along with the public methods on any other interface that the SEI may extend into one giant
interface, which should then be reflected in the WSDL.  Again, I don't know enough about WSM,
but this might be something it handles for you.  If not, it seems like you will be required
to walk the annotations and collect the metadata from every interface that's extended?

> > > I'm glad to see you'll be working on this.  As mentioned before, I think there
is some commonality that can be leveraged when it comes to JAX-WS as well.  A few questions
though about the annotations support for Axis2 endpoints (I know you're just getting started
with this so I understand if some of this is longer term) :

> > > - When annotations are added to a class, are you still requiring the presence
of a services.xml?  If so, what's the minimum set of information required in that document?
 I.e., could I get away with annotating a class and just specifying that ServiceClass property
in XML file?  I can see still needing the deployment descriptor for specifying module refs,
but would it be able to have just that and not the operation descriptions.  Just a thought.

> > > - If annotations are supported for Axis2/ADB endpoints, how would we distinguish
those from JAX-WS endpoints?

> > > Hope this helps...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Nicholas Gallardo
> > >  WebSphere  -  WebServices Development
> > >  nlgallar@us.ibm.com
> > >  Phone: 512-838-1182
> > >  Building: 901 / 5G-016
> > >

> > > "Rajith Attapattu" <rajith77@gmail.com>
> > >

> > > 06/19/2006 09:35 PM
> > >
> > > Please respond to
> > >  axis-dev@ws.apache.org
> > >

> > > To axis-dev@ws.apache.org,  dims@apache.org
> > >
> > > cc
> > >

> > > Subject Re: Annotation parsing framework for Axis2 (Re: [wsm] a plan)
> > >

> > > Dims,
> > >
> > >  Sounds good.
> > >
> > >  So it looks like the @WebService tag is not really useful as we explicitly
name the class in the services.xml

to how we should leverage this @WebService annotation.
> > >  wondering if the spec mandates some sort of stratergy for this. (I read the
spec and couldn't find anything)

about @WebService thing when we figure out the exact requirment.

> > >  Regards,
> > >
> > >  Rajith.
> > >
> > > On 6/19/06, Davanum Srinivas <davanum@gmail.com > wrote:
> > > Rajith,
> > >
> > >  In the short term, We have RPCMessageReceiver,
> > >  SpringRPCMessageReceiver etc. we could throw in a quick
> > >  WSMRPCMessageReceiver as well. So we will have to look at the class
> > >  name specified in the services.xml just like we do for other
> > >  receivers.
> > >
> > >  -- dims
> > >
> > >  On 6/19/06, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com > wrote:
> > >  > Hi Dims
> > >  >
> > >  > One more question if you don't mind :-)
> > >  >
> > >  > What is the plan to figure out a class marked with @WebService?
> > >  >
> > >  > a) are we going to look through a particular location to introspect any
> > >  > class files droped there ?
> > >  > b) is the user responsible for adding the service via some API method
? for
> > >  > ex: AxisService.createService(String className) ?
> > >  >
> > >  > The rest we can introspect once we get the class identified. But I am
> > >  > wondering how is the initial step of figuring out the marked (annotated
> > >  > class) class with the @WebService tag.
> > >  >
> > >  > Sorry for the long list of questions.
> > >  >
> > >  > Regards,
> > >  >
> > >  > Rajith
> > >  >
> > >  >
> > >  > On 6/16/06, Rajith Attapattu < rajith77@gmail.com > wrote:
> > >  > >
> > >  > > Hi Dims,
> > >  > >
> > >  > > Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but there is something that
I don't
> [...]
> > >  > > > >
> > >  > > > > Regards,
> > >  > > > >
> > >  > > > > Rajith
> > >  > > > >
> > >  > > > > On 6/13/06, Davanum Srinivas < davanum@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > >  > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > Rajith,
> > >  > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > I think you need to implement ReflectionWsmServiceFactory
first. The
> > >  > > > > > angle of attack i am looking at is deploying a POJO
with
> > >  > annotations.
> > >  > > > > > (See AxisService.createService in Axis2 where one
can deploy a
> > >  > pojo).
> > >  > > > > > You will have to write a WSMToAxisServiceBuilder
(see
> > >  > > > > > WSDL11ToAxisServiceBuilder) to populate the AxisService
info from
> > >  > WSM.
> > >  > > > > > WDYT? Once we have this, we can get fancy with codegen
etc.
> > >  > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > thanks,
> > >  > > > > > dims
> > >  > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > On 6/5/06, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > >  > > > > > > Hi Dims & Eddie,
> > >  > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > So code wise I should be looking at MirrorWsmBuilder
and
> > >  > WsmService?
> > >  > > > > > > Any pointers will be helpful.
> > >  > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > I am going through the wiki and JSR documentation
and will get
> > >  > back with
> > >  > > > > > > questions.
> > >  > > > > > > Meanwhile do we have that seperate jar that
bundles all the
> > >  > relevent
> > >  > > > > > classes
> > >  > > > > > > for the annotations support?
> > >  > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > Regards,
> > >  > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > Rajith
> > >  > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > On 2/5/06, Eddie O'Neil < ekoneil@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > Dims--
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > >   Hey; apologies for the delay.  That's
basically right -- there
> > >  > is
> > >  > > > > > > > actually one other step in the annotation
processing pipeline
> > >  > which is
> > >  > > > > > > > verifying the validity of any annotations
on the class.  So, it
> > >  > would
> > >  > > > > > > > be:
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > >   annotation checking (Jsr181AnnotationChecker)
--> model
> > >  > building
> > >  > > > > > > > (MirrorWsmBuilder)
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > which returns a WsmService object that
can be wired up into
> > >  > axis2
> > >  > > > > > stuff.
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > >   I can certainly break the Axis 1.x stuff
into a separate JAR;
> > >  > my
> > >  > > > > > > > original plan was to just put the Axis
1.x and 2 bits in the
> > >  > same JAR
> > >  > > > > > > > file, but if this is a problem, let me
know and I can make three
> > >  > JARs
> > >  > > > > > > > -- generic web service processing code,
axis 1, axis 2, etc.
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > >   There is one important part of this that
isn't done yet, and
> > >  > that's
> > >  > > > > > > > to provide something that can be used inside
of a server runtime
> > >  > that
> > >  > > > > > > > abstracts from Sun's Mirror types which
are used inside of APT.
> > >  > Not
> > >  > > > > > > > exactly sure what this looks like yet --
could be reflection or
> > >  > > > > > > > something else that abstracts from Sun's
Mirror APIs (used
> > >  > inside of
> > >  > > > > > > > APT).
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > >   Do you want to run this from inside of
the Axis2 runtime or at
> > >  > > > > > > > build-time on the command line?  I'm assuming
the former.
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > Eddie
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > On 2/1/06, Davanum Srinivas < davanum@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > >  > > > > > > > > Eddie,
> > >  > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > i was looking at the current codebase
and spotted the
> > >  > > > > > > > > MirrorWsmBuilder. Is this what we
can use in Axis2 to inspect
> > >  > a
> > >  > > > > > given
> > >  > > > > > > > > java class? and one the WsmService
object is built, then
> > >  > translate
> > >  > > > > > > > > that to Axis2 thingies? Can we split
out the processing
> > >  > framework
> > >  > > > > > into
> > >  > > > > > > > > a separate jar (w/o things like Axis1
stuff)? Am i on the
> > >  > right
> > >  > > > > > track
> > >  > > > > > > > > with this thinking?
> > >  > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > thanks,
> > >  > > > > > > > > dims
> > >  > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > On 1/3/06, Eddie O'Neil < ekoneil@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > >  > > > > > > > > > All--
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   Happy New Year!  And, as a
way to start the year off on a
> > >  > good
> > >  > > > > > foot,
> > >  > > > > > > > > > let's get WSM to 1.0.  Below
is a proposal for how we get
> > >  > from
> > >  > > > > > here to
> > >  > > > > > > > > > there with some details about
where we are and what needs to
> > >  > > > > > happen.
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   Today, there are two core WSM
parts, both of which are
> > >  > tailored
> > >  > > > > > > > > > the Axis web service stack:
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   build-time: This is a generic
annotation processing layer
> > >  > that
> > >  > > > > > has
> > >  > > > > > > > > > the ability to work against Mirror,
reflection, and WSDL to
> > >  > > > > > produce a
> > >  > > > > > > > > > WSM JavaBean model that represents
a web service.  The
> > >  > build-time
> > >  > > > > > > > > > layer has a plug-point for generating
source artifacts to
> > >  > support
> > >  > > > > > > > > > various web service runtimes.
 For example, the Axis
> > >  > > > > > implementation
> > >  > > > > > > > > > produces a serialized version
of the WSM JavaBean model.
> > >  > This
> > >  > > > > > could
> > >  > > > > > > > > > also produce JAX-RPC source /
deployment descriptor
> > >  > artifacts,
> > >  > > > > > etc.
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   runtime: The runtime side of
WSM is specifically built to
> > >  > > > > > support
> > >  > > > > > > > > > the Axis 1.x runtime.  It loads
the serialized JavaBean
> > >  > model
> > >  > > > > > > > > > generated at build time and uses
an Axis Handler to
> > >  > configure a
> > >  > > > > > > > > > SOAPService given this information.
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   There is another large bunch
of code in WSM related to
> > >  > tools:
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > > wsdl2ajava -- this tool supports
the top-down web service
> > >  > > > > > development
> > >  > > > > > > > > > model and starts with a WSDL
to produce an annotated Java
> > >  > source
> > >  > > > > > file.
> > >  > > > > > > > > >  This tool requires significant
knowledge of WSDL and type
> > >  > mapping
> > >  > > > > > for
> > >  > > > > > > > > > a specific web service stack.
 For example, the mapping for
> > >  > an XSD
> > >  > > > > > > > > > year is mapped to org.apache.axis.types.Year
and something
> > >  > > > > > different
> > >  > > > > > > > > > on other web service stacks.
 wsdl2java is a non-trivial
> > >  > bunch of
> > >  > > > > > code
> > >  > > > > > > > > > to write, but is also a very
useful tool.
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   In order to finish WSM, one
more re-architecting step
> > >  > needs to
> > >  > > > > > be
> > >  > > > > > > > > > completed; I'd like to remove
the use of a serialized Java
> > >  > object
> > >  > > > > > as
> > >  > > > > > > > > > the way to communicate from the
build-time to runtime parts
> > >  > of the
> > >  > > > > > > > > > implementation.  This would be
replaced with a WSDD like,
> > >  > but WSM
> > >  > > > > > > > > > specific, XML descriptor of the
service.  AFAICT, WSDD can't
> > >  > be
> > >  > > > > > used
> > >  > > > > > > > > > for this because too closely
matches the shape of a Java
> > >  > class
> > >  > > > > > (Dims
> > >  > > > > > > > > > and others, feel free to correct
me if I'm wrong).  So, we
> > >  > need a
> > >  > > > > > > > > > simple XML file that describes
the information captured in a
> > >  > > > > > > > > > WsmService.
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   Once this is done, we can start
work on passing the
> > >  > JSR-181 TCK.
> > >  > > > > > > > > > This will be done atop Apache
Axis 1.x.
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   In order to expedite the process
of getting from here to
> > >  > TCK
> > >  > > > > > > > > > compliance, I'd like to suggest
that we stop stop work on
> > >  > the
> > >  > > > > > > > > > wsdl2ajava tool in order to focus
on finishing 1.0 and
> > >  > restart
> > >  > > > > > this
> > >  > > > > > > > > > tool immediately post-1.0.
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   Post 1.0, there are lots of
other things that we could do
> > >  > > > > > including:
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > > - JDK 1.4 support
> > >  > > > > > > > > > - drop-in support for WSM in
Axis to support iteratively
> > >  > > > > > developing an
> > >  > > > > > > > > > annotated web service
> > >  > > > > > > > > > - JAX-RPC support (Ias, still
have any interest in working
> > >  > on
> > >  > > > > > this?)
> > >  > > > > > > > > > - custom annotations to support
container-specific features
> > >  > like
> > >  > > > > > type
> > >  > > > > > > > mapping
> > >  > > > > > > > > > - and so on...
> > >  > > > > > > > > >
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   Personally, I'm chomping at
the bit to get WSM's 1.0 done
> > >  > and
> > >  > > > > > would
> > >  > > > > > > > > > like to narrow scope in order
to do that.  I think we're
> > >  > almost
> > >  > > > > > ready
> > >  > > > > > > > > > for the TCK; I'll start on the
XML file to describe an
> > >  > annotated
> > >  > > > > > Axis
> > >  > > > > > > > > > web service shortly.
> > >  > > > > > > > > >   Thoughts, comments, and flames
welcome.