axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Implementing unwrapped (was Re: [Axis2] Planning for Axis2 next rev - 1.1 (?))
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:23:20 GMT
On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 22:03 +1200, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
> I've said before how for the JiBX handling I really want to control the
> unwrapping in the data binding extension code, rather than use a generic
> approach. As long as it's still possible for me to do that and overwrite
> what's been done by the schemaUnwrappingExtension there shouldn't be any
> problem with me implementing my changes.

I think this is incorrect. "Unwrapping" is a generic, data-binding
independent concept we must support uniformly. If we want to do some
data-binding specific thing then that should be uniformly called
"unwrapping" .. which is pretty well understood now to mean unwrap the
top level element and generate separate args for each element child
(which of course means only element children are allowed). Each child
should be data bound according to the the rules of the data binding in
play (or none, which means each one is an OMElement).

> > When it comes to the databinders, the extra task they have to do is to
> > populate the typemap for the references of  the  unwrapped parts.
> > Certain databinders like XMLBeans has no problem in this since it
> > generates classes for all the element references, even for the
> > internal ones. I can modify ADB to do this and I suppose jibX can also
> > do a similar thing.
> One of the points of unwrapping is supposed to be to reduce the number
> of class generated. Besides, in many cases those unwrapped parts are
> going to be primitives. How do you plan to handle these?

Reduce the # of classes? Unwrapping *increases* the number of classes ..
each arg becomes a separate class. I must be missing something.

Sanjiva.