axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Rajith Attapattu" <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] Spring Support
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 18:22:22 GMT
Glen,

Maybe I didn't elaborate enough on my point about "Not using the full power
of Web Services".
I was thinking more from a conceptual (architecture) POV.

I see that most people are content with exposing there existing **objects**
as web services which is fine. (so code first approach, allthough they wrote
the code before thinking about exposing their  **components** as Web
Services.)

But what I like to see is systems designed with Web Services in mind. I had
a discussion with Sanjiva recently about this very point. And perphaps he
can add to it, if I have missed anything.

If people can look at a Service from a more higer level with out
constraining themselves to objects they can design better components that
are more message oriented. Thinking in
terms of a Web Service as an Object right at the start will give the
wrong picture about granularity and

it also gives the impression that the only way to interact with a
service is with a blocking request
response pattern.
A Web Services interaction should be envisioned beyond the semantics
of a method
call.

Asynchrony and message orientation are powerful concepts in my opinion and
they can help you design components that are more robust and flexible.

So if you are just content with exposing some existing object using a
framework (sometimes this is the only option from a business perspective),
then you have used web services just for the sake of it. But if you use a
more message oriented approach (wsdl/schema first) you could leverage these
powerful concepts  to build better systems.

Did I manage to get the point across?

Regards,

Rajith