axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extensions and revisions to SimpleHTTPServer
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 21:17:28 GMT
On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 11:07 -1000, Chuck Williams wrote:
> Thanks Oleg.  I'll exercise your code, report issues, provided patches,
> etc., as soon as it is available.
>
> I need some features that might not be available in a simple
> implementation, primarily the ability to control a set of thread pools
> assigned to different operations.  E.g., I've got a bunch of quick small
> operations and a few big slow ones.  I need to limit the processing of
> the large ones so that reading and processing the incoming messages does
> not run the jvm out of memory or cause performance issues, while
> allowing the small ones to get through at high priority.  In general,
> I'd like to be able to control the allocation of incoming messages to
> threads in operation-dependent thread pools, limit the threads in the
> each pool, and relatively prioritize the pools.
>
> This might have architectural implications has the dispatching needs to
> be done to determine the operation and thereby select the thread pool.
> It is essential that the reading of messages be performed by the axis2
> message receivers so the large ones can be streamed through.  Ideally,
> the sizes of the thread pools could be varied dynamically, so that for
> example a particularly large message could prevent other threads from
> being assigned until it completes; however, I can provide the dynamic
> size-based resource control in the app even with fixed size thread
> pools.  Even without operation-based thread pools, so long as the
> messages are not read by the http client, I could implement this
> mechanism as a secondary thread assignment in the app.
>
> I'd be happy to add support for this kind of functionality if not part
> of the core package.

Chuck,

HttpCore is a set of low level components focused exclusively on the
transport aspects of the HTTP protocol. HttpCore does not (and will not)
provide connection and thread pooling. We are very much welcome to
contribute these components. For a start, I'll hack up something very
simple.

Cheers,

Oleg