axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Thilina Gunarathne" <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Proposal : Sending all the messages inside MIME Envelopes when MTOM is enabled
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:17:49 GMT
Hi Glen,

> 1) I don't understand exactly why this is a problem - shouldn't there
> just be a setting/property which says "send as MTOM"?  In other words,
> you let the higher layer (the user/service) decide if a given message
> should be MTOM-enveloped or not, rather than walking the whole tree.  I
That's what I'm proposing.. Earlier we were walking the tree to find
optimisable elements even if the higher layer (the user/service)
switch is on..Reason behind was to avoid Mime overhead if there aren't
any real attachments.. There can be case when the MTOM is enabled for
the service, but there aren't any attachments...We walked the tree to
avoid the unnecessary overhead of MIME at that use case.. But now it
seems that this walking causes lot more problems..

> you put an optimizable node in and don't indicate "send as MTOM" then
> you get a resulting XML document containing base64 data - with
> content-type "application/soap+xml" or "text/xml", but *not*
> "application/xop+xml".  If the property is set, *then* you always send MIME.
I'm not proposing anything to change the behavior of nodes. :)... It
will remain as you mentioned above..

> 2) I don't think we should be sending MIME in the simple non-MTOM cases.
>   Our default SOAP messages should look like regular old SOAP 1.1 or 1.2.
Ahhh... No way... We are not going to do anything like that.. Simple
non-mtom cases will not be touched, unless some crasy guy sets
"enableMTOM" to true...

> --Glen

"May the SourcE be with u"

View raw message