axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ajith Ranabahu" <ajith.ranab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Databinding structuring proposal
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:37:48 GMT
Hi Kenneth,
See my comments inline

> +1 to more decoupling from binding frameworks -- I'd very much like to
> be able to use the latest JAXB RI with Axis2, and we're already seeing
> sufficient proliferation of binding frameworks that it seems like it
> makes a lot of sense to go to a model where the code [many|most|all
> but ADB] is optional.

I'm +1 on that too. We should have a mechanism where the codegen can
live without any of the extensions. I think we can figure out a
reflection based way to load the classes

> I need to grok the way the current code-gen process manages multiple
> bindings a little deeper before I have any specific suggestions..
> though I do have some questions -- can anyone elaborate a bit on the
> design decision behind basing the code-gen process on XSLT  (and thus
> representing the input WSDL info model as a DOM)?

Well, I think I'm the one who convinced the others to use XSLT and
here are the reasons behind it as I see.
1. XSLT is a fairly known syntax to write templates in so it should be
easier for
most of the people
2. JRE (1.4 upwards) comes bundled with XML/XSL processing libraries
(Crimson|Xerces|Xalan) so we are not inventing any third party
dependancies

> would have been more straightforward to use a straight POJO-based
> input model into a template lang like velocity or freemarker.

I'm not familiar with the velocity or freemarker template languages
but In any case I guess we'll be introducing another dependancy! Also
if  we special case the templating language, it makes things harder
for the people who would need to tweak the code generator.

--
Ajith Ranabahu