axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ajith Ranabahu" <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Why do we have multiple versions of docs in xdocs
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:43:23 GMT
Hi all,
Yes I agree that the person who does it should have a major part in
deciding 'how' to do it (and ofcourse Chatra is doing a great job  -
no doubts about it)  But if that person chooses a particularly complex
and not-very-appropriate solution I think we, as a community should be
pointing them in the right way, at least the way that the community
feels the right way.
Having said that, I am not really happy about maintaining the older
versions inside the xdocs folder. I as a user would love to see a
clean xdocs folder when I do a checkout of the source (I should say
I'm not talking about the regular axis2 developer guy who already has
a source checkout in his computer. This is the newbie who has the
curiosity to look at the latest source) . I would not appreciate
having documents of two previous releases in my current source tree
(ok what is the use of it anyway?).
If this is an issue with maintaining older documentation, well SVN
branching is there to help you. The exact reasoning for having the
branching capability in a versioning system is that.
The other thing is that none of the other projects go into this mess
(if it's thought as a mess). Almost all of them maintain only the docs
that are relevant to the current source and thats it (at least the
ones I know)
I'm not gonna drag this further but for me the bottom line is that it
is far better to have only the latest docs inside the SVN. If you want
to maintain older docs, fine, then use the branch!

Ajith Ranabahu

View raw message