axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Hughes" <hugh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [axis2] WSDL 2.0 CR work
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:46:03 GMT
Glen, when Woden supports WSDL 1.1 I'd expect the test for determining
whether it's a 1.1 or 2.0 doc to be in WSDLReader. It would then give
back a 1.1 Definition or a 2.0 DescriptionElement. But this is after
Woden replaces WSDL4J.

Jeremy

On 3/16/06, Glen Daniels <glen@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> (the thread below should have also gone to axis-dev - adding that now)
>
> +1, dims.  This seems like the right way to go.  I took an action on the
> implementors call today to open a JIRA with a description of this task,
> and then hopefully we can find someone with cycles to get it done.
>
> Essentially we'll use Woden just like we use WSDL4J, and we can switch
> by looking at the root element of the XML.  I don't think we actually
> need a WSDL2 serializer quite yet for Axis2, though we want that eventually.
>
> --Glen
>
> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > Please take a look at org.apache.axis2.wsdl.builder.wsdl4j.WSDLPump,
> > this is used in org.apache.axis2.wsdl.builder.wsdl4j.WSDL1ToWOMBuilder
> > to populate the wom.
> >
> > May be we could write a similar one for woden?
> >
> > -- dims
> >
> > On 3/15/06, Arthur Ryman <arthur.ryman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>In order to make progress towards some interop testing and to avoid regressing
Axis2 by making some major change, couldn't we just write some code generators that target
the Axis2 runtime? I suggest that we simply clone the current WSDL2Java code and replace the
WSDL  1.1 parser with Woden. Call it Woden2Java maybe. This would be an independent piece
of code so it would not impact Axis2. The output of Woden2Java would be whatever Axis2 expects
which I gather is just some Java classes (stubs and skeletons) and deployment descriptors.

large work items left including parsing of extension HTTP components, validation of extension
components and MEPs and adding a URI resolution framework. There is also some work that we
will need to do on XmlSchema and may tests we need to create in order to validate Woden's
functionality. I am willing to help, especially with work that needs to be done to Woden itself.
I'm not sure how much time I'll have in the next couple months to contribute directly to Axis.

Woden did receive an initial contribution of the WSDL4J source. (AFAIK Axis using WSDL4J for
WSDL  1.1 parsing - correct me if I'm wrong.) The long term plan may include merging this
code with the WSDL 2.0 code and creating one package that supports WSDL 1.1 and 2.0 but it's
too early to say if and when this will happen. We are of course willing to listen to suggestions
and happy to receive contributions. As it currently stands, I think option 1 makes the most
sense. The WSDL  1.1 - 2.0 conversion utilities do not handle 100% of WSDL 1.1 cases and I
don't want to see Axis regress because of an implementation detail.

answer the W3C WSDL working group's call for implementations. Obviously Woden can't completely
answer the call so we need Axis to be able to achieve this goal. Also, the plan is for Woden
to declare an API. This can't happen until we receive feedback from clients. Integration with
Axis should allow for the type of feedback we need from an initial adopter.

achieving goals for both projects. Thanks for starting the conversation.