axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Schema with no targetNamespace rejected
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:33:27 GMT
Glen Daniels wrote:

>>> The better solution is to throw a warning if the targetNamespace isn't
>>> there --let XMLBeans throw the error.
>>

> +1, which leads me to a quick comment.  Currently, the error reporting
> in Axis2 is... less than adequate, to say the least.  We're building a
> toolkit/engine which is supposed to make it easy for developers to
> expose and consume arbitrary Web Services in a variety of ways.  And
> because there are so many moving parts and extensions, it is EXTRA
> important for us to provide detailed and useful information when
> things go wrong.  We can discuss this more on another thread, but I
> think this needs some serious attention if we want good uptake.

Are you willing to go along on this, Sanjiva? If so, I'll change the
code to print a warning message to the console when a schema with no
targetNamespace is used.

>> I'd like to move Axis2 to being a system that assumes/requires BP.
>> That's partly the rationale for not supporting SOAP Encoding etc..
>

> -1
>
> It's great if there's an option to switch BP-compliance-checking on.
> It's not great if there's no way to turn it off.  There are plenty of
> people out there who want to be able to use their RPC/encoded
> services, please don't force them to choose another toolkit.

I like the BP-compliance-checking switch idea. This would be a lot of
work to implement properly (basically requiring that code be added to
check each recommendation), but would be a major help to users
struggling with interoperability. But it'd be most useful for checking
that the actual runtime service is BP-compliant; checking a WSDL they've
gotten from some other source is probably something that's best done by
a separate tool

  - Dennis