axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Schema with no targetNamespace rejected
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:55:12 GMT
Hey folks:

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 09:19 -0500, Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
>
>>I agree with Dennis on this.

And I agree with Anne agreeing with Dennis. :)

>>WSDL 1.1 doesn't *require* that a schema have a targetNamespace. The
>>BP does, but that's a best practice, not a spec requirement. WSDL 2.0
>>requires that schemas have a targetNamespace, but that doesn't change
>>WSDL 1.1.
>>
>>The better solution is to throw a warning if the targetNamespace isn't
>>there --let XMLBeans throw the error.

+1, which leads me to a quick comment.  Currently, the error reporting
in Axis2 is... less than adequate, to say the least.  We're building a
toolkit/engine which is supposed to make it easy for developers to
expose and consume arbitrary Web Services in a variety of ways.  And
because there are so many moving parts and extensions, it is EXTRA
important for us to provide detailed and useful information when things
go wrong.  We can discuss this more on another thread, but I think this
needs some serious attention if we want good uptake.

> I'd like to move Axis2 to being a system that assumes/requires BP.
> That's partly the rationale for not supporting SOAP Encoding etc..

-1

It's great if there's an option to switch BP-compliance-checking on.
It's not great if there's no way to turn it off.  There are plenty of
people out there who want to be able to use their RPC/encoded services,
please don't force them to choose another toolkit.

> I know we don't yet enforce all of BP but IMO we should, over time.

See above.

Thanks,
--Glen