axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject [Axis2] Axiom MTOM output optimization
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:22:08 GMT
Looking at the code in OMOutputImpl it's not clear to me how the MTOM
handling is supposed to work. The JavaDocs say "this assumes that
transport takes the decision of whether to optimize or not by looking at
whether the MTOM optimize is enabled & also looking at the OM tree
whether it has any optimizable content". This doesn't seem a very useful
approach, if I'm understanding it correctly, since it seems to assume
that a full OM tree will be constructed for any output (including the
MTOM-optimizable portions, apparently).

My plans for handling this in JibxSoap revolve around passing a blob of
data (either byte[] or InputStream) with associated identifier to the
transport code if optimization is enabled. This means the serialization
interface is more than just an OutputStream (or an XMLStreamWriter), but
the payoff is that attachment data doesn't have to go through any kind
of intermediate serialization. In the case of a file containing the
attachment data, for instance, a FileInputStream can be passed directly
to the transport as the source of data for a particular attachment.

I know we've discussed this a bit in the past - anyone have any updates
or planned improvements in the current Axis2 approach?

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA, Web Services, and XML