axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Schema with no targetNamespace rejected
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:37:25 GMT
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 19:33 +1200, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
> > +1, which leads me to a quick comment.  Currently, the error reporting
> > in Axis2 is... less than adequate, to say the least.  We're building a
> > toolkit/engine which is supposed to make it easy for developers to
> > expose and consume arbitrary Web Services in a variety of ways.  And
> > because there are so many moving parts and extensions, it is EXTRA
> > important for us to provide detailed and useful information when
> > things go wrong.  We can discuss this more on another thread, but I
> > think this needs some serious attention if we want good uptake.
> Are you willing to go along on this, Sanjiva? If so, I'll change the
> code to print a warning message to the console when a schema with no
> targetNamespace is used.

It doesn't work for direct reference from WSDL even for WSDL 1.1
original: part/@type and part/@element both require QNames. The only use
is for a schema defining one of those to refer to stuff in a schema with
no namespace.

Do you know of *any* usecases of this? Can you point me to the WSDL? I'd
like to understand it a bit before saying just print a warning.

> > -1
> >
> > It's great if there's an option to switch BP-compliance-checking on.
> > It's not great if there's no way to turn it off.  There are plenty of
> > people out there who want to be able to use their RPC/encoded
> > services, please don't force them to choose another toolkit.

Fine Glen .. but someone has to write RPC/Enc support. I have no
interest in it (esp. in its full glory; as we've discussed previously
the 80% case overlaps with RPC/lit) but if you want to write it that's

> I like the BP-compliance-checking switch idea. This would be a lot of
> work to implement properly (basically requiring that code be added to
> check each recommendation), but would be a major help to users
> struggling with interoperability. But it'd be most useful for checking
> that the actual runtime service is BP-compliant; checking a WSDL they've
> gotten from some other source is probably something that's best done by
> a separate tool

+1; the runtime should not be doing compliance .. if that's really
desired then one can drop a Synapse mediator that does verification.

View raw message