axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject RE: [Axis2] Management Interface
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:16:44 GMT
On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 16:16 +0530, Soumadeep wrote:
> [Soumadeep]  An open source community doesn't mean that it's doesn't share
> any time lines or responsibilities, I completely disagree with your
> statement as above
> No matter what your other obligation may be if you take a responsibility
> being a committer you should see to it that it's done ASAP. I thing the
> moderator/release manager should take note of this. Someone has to be
> answerable no matter what. As community members we all are answerable.

I can imagine how frustrating this must be for you .. but your statement
is not true. As community members we are responsible to be good
community members, but as volunteer members of the community none of us
answer to anyone. Now, if someone is employed by a company which is
allocating work time to work on an ASF project then they are answerable
to the company's mgmt (presumably!), but still not to the community.

ASF communities do not have moderators or release managers. We vote in a
release manager for the duration of a release but for every day
operations we work off a meritocracy. As such there's no hierarchy here;
the person on the other side can be a 12 year old kid or a 80 year old
grandma and it makes no difference. If they can program (or document or
do Web design or any of the other thousand things that must be done to
keep ASF projects running) they are welcome here no matter what level of
time they can commit.

Welcome to the Apache Way ;-).

Sanjiva.