axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Soumadeep" <soumad...@infravio.com>
Subject RE: [Axis2] Management Interface - Counting requests
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:33:51 GMT
Hi Chathura

Great stuff, though had a question - don't you think it would be important
to capture the following stats:
1) ServiceTime
2) MaxResponseTime
3) LastResponseTime

Apart from this have you thought about sending JMX notifications? as it's
synchronized the request will not be sent back to the requester till the
notification is sent, this could prove a deterrent to the performance!

Best regards
Soumadeep

 -----Original Message-----
From: Chathura Ekanayake [mailto:cce.axis@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:30 PM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: [Axis2] Management Interface - Counting requests

  Hi,

  I am developing the management interface for Axis2. I am currently
implementing code to monitor dynamic statistics of remote Axis2 engines.

  These statistics include,

  - Total number of requests
  - Total number of failed requests
  - Number of requests for specified services
  - Number of requests for given operations in specified services
  - Operations to reset each of these counts

  For this, I need to count the number of requests. I think, a handler of a
globally engaged module is the best place to do it.
  I think of having a singleton object, which is invoked by a handler with
the msg context as a parameter.
  Then this object can extract necessary information from the msg context
and store them internally.

  Management interfaces (e.g. WS or MBean) can call methods of this
singleton object to get various statistics.

  Below is a brief code sample:

  // Globally engaged handler
  public class DynamicStatsHandler extends AbstractHandler implements
Handler {

         public void invoke(MessageContext msgContext) throws AxisFault {
                     DynamicStatsManager.getDynamicStatsManager().notify(msg
Context);
         }
  }

  // Singleton object
  public class DynamicStatsManager {

      private int totalRequests = 0;

      public DynamicStatsManager getDynamicStatsManager() { // singleton }

      public void notify(MessageContext msgContext) {
              // extract necessary information and store in private
variables
      }

      public int getTotalRequests() { return totalRequests; }

      public void resetTotalRequests() { totalRequests = 0; }
  }

  // Management interfaces (WS)
  public class AxisDynamicStats {

     public OMElement getTotalRequests() {
           DynamicStatsManager dsManager =
DynamicStatsManager.getDynamicStatsManager();
           int totalRequests = dsManager.getTotalRequests();

           // create OMElement and return
     }

     public void getTotalRequests() {
            DynamicStatsManager dsManager =
DynamicStatsManager.getDynamicStatsManager();
            int totalRequests = dsManager.resetTotalRequests();
     }
  }

  Is this design ok? Will it slow down the process of directing msgs to
services?
  Please give suggestions about this and ways to improve.

  Thanks,

  Chathura.