axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] Re: why is an http listener opening client side?
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 04:50:18 GMT
Steve

The answer is that there is no single set of imports that we can use in Java
that uses backport if its there in JDK 1.4 and the in-built JDK 5 stuff
otherwise.

So we had to either fix Axis2 to be JDK5+ only, or use backport. We chose
backport for the widest acceptance. However, they are in their own
namespace, so in JDK5 you are using the backport lib not the JDK stuff.
Eventually we can do a global rename and create a JDK5+ only version.

I started writing a rant against Sun's strategy but I figured no-one would
be interested so I've deleted it.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle