axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Deepal Jayasinghe" <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [Axis2] Sessions on by default?
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 04:05:20 GMT
Hi Paul;

yes , you are correct , in the server side session should be specify by some one , but in
the client side it depends.

In the current implementation that I have done , if the server send the cookie I copy that
to serverconetxt , and when sending request I check whether the cookie id is there in the
server context if its there I write that else ignore that.

If client think that he does not want then it should be able to turn that off (say using some
property in options) , else we send the cookie back.

With Sanjiva's new client approach this can handle in nice way , so my idea is in the client
side there should be a default session and it should be transport session.

~Future is Open~

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul Fremantle
  Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 1:29 PM
  Subject: Re: [VOTE] [Axis2] Sessions on by default?

  I know I'm late :)

  Here are my views:

  1) Server sessions should be enabled by actual specific action of a developer or deployer

  2) Client sessions should be enabled by the following model:
     a) If the programmer repeatedly uses the same instance of the same stub then sessions
will be *possible*.
     b) Only if the server uses HTTP cookies or WS-A reference params the session will be

  i.e. for a session to take place, the consumer has to program in a certain way AND the provider
has to enable sessions.

  On 12/31/05, Dennis Sosnoski <> wrote:
    Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

    >The question Dims asked is about what the default should be for clients.
    >I disagree with the apparently popular choice of no sessions because if
    >a service has multiple operations then in most cases the operations have
    >some relationships between them. The question really amounts to asking
    >how often do people have session scoped services vs. application scoped
    >services. If they are application scoped then basically the cookie stuff
    >makes no difference: either the service is totally stateless and it
    >ignores all context or its truly stateful and remembers something from
    >every request.
    >IMO the natural behavior should be to maintain sessions by default.
    >That's what even Apache SOAP did back many years ago.
    I'll vote +1 on "no sessions by default" for now, just to keep things

    That said, does WSDL 2.0 include a way to indicate service statefulness?
    If so, that would be the ideal way of controlling the client defaults.
    If not... well, is it too late to get a new feature in, Sanjiva? ;-)

      - Dennis

  Paul Fremantle

  "Oxygenating the Web Service Platform",

View raw message