axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Oinn <...@ebi.ac.uk>
Subject [Axis2] Schema parsing
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:29:11 GMT
Hi all,

We're planning to use Axis2 in Taverna to construct SOAP requests,
probably not using any form of data binding as we have our own and just
using the send / receive SOAP body functionality.

This means we have to be able to inspect arbitrary WSDL documents and
determine the input schema in such a way that we can present appropriate
'input' and 'output' ports on our workflow components - this is slightly
non trivial as we can attempt to split up sequence elements on input
documents into different inputs and suchlike.

Until recently we were using the WSIF library to present a slightly
friendlier interface on the schema support in WSDL4J but changes in the
latter have broken this for the time being.

It occurs to me that our requirement is probably not unique, and that it
might be useful for the more message driven approach in Axis2 to have
richer schema support for type declarations in WSDL definitions. Unless
anyone knows of a really good existing lightweight Java model for schema
(I've looked but no luck) that can be glued into WSDL4J's Definition
model we're going to write one - the purpose being to inspect a WSDL
file and, for a given operation, provide enough information in a
friendly and easy to digest form for a dynamic invoker to build a
compliant request document / parse a response. Note that this is _not_ a
databinding layer, just type metadata. Actual databinding could
obviously be driven off it though.

1) Does this exist?
2) Would anyone else use it?
3) We're happy to contribute it to Axis2, to any other project or to
manage it ourselves, any preferences?

Cheers,

Tom