axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] SOAPMessageContext
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:52:35 GMT
On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 07:40 -0800, Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
> Hi all,
> I see that folks have different views on putting this particular
> SOAPMessageContext, most probably as part of Axis2 itself would be
> slightly inappropriate since Axis2 can survive nicely without it :).
> Here's my plan to  make both worlds happy. Instead of just creating
> message contexts inside, we provide a MessageContextFactory that is
> settable from outside (probably through Axis2.xml). This makes it
> flexible enough for Synapse to introduce it's own context and Axis2
> never needs to know about Synapse or anything! SOAPMsgCtxt can remain
> as part of Synapse rather than Axis2

The idea was to simply define an interface named SOAPMessageContext with
the proposed methods (which are a strict subset of the MessageContext
APIs, IIUC) and then declare that MessageContext implements that. Thus
Axis2 does not have to change but the Synapse APIs are clean and simple
to Synapse rule engine and mediator writers.

To do this really cleanly would require quit a bit of surgery to move
the addressing stuff from core to the xml module. I'm not a fan of doing
that at this point .. I'd rather define the interface inside
o.a.axis2.context package and live with it.

This does not achieve total independence of Synapse from Axis2; IMO
that's not an easy task .. unless you go down to StAX as the API to the
SOAP message. Even then you have to figure out how to represent other
contextual information.

Sanjiva.