axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] versioning modules
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 02:50:08 GMT
Hey guys:

>>If the user does not indicate a version then we have a choice of
>>behavior: either fail or pick a version ourselves. I prefer simply
>>failing. Keep it simple.

Well, really "simple" would be simply integrating versions, if you want
them, into the names of the modules/jars themselves, instead of building
a versioning framework... wouldn't it? :)  I.e. take a "uri-like"
approach - if I want to call something "addressing-v2", no problem, just
as there's no problem with my calling something "addressing".

I'm not -1 to the idea of versioning, I'm just not sure we're gonna need
much beyond the ability to arbitrarily name modules.  It seems like
Sanjiva is saying you should *have* to specify a particular version when
you refer to a module - if that's the case, what's the difference
between <module ref="addressing" version="2"/> and <module
ref="addressing2"/>?

 > [...]
> BTW, we can do something like this. We can mention the default versions
> of all the modules that will be used in a config file. We do the same
> thing for maven jar versioning. So that user must first mention default
> versions for modules, system level in that file, but he has the
> flexibility to change it anytime in the run time.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd have:

$AXIS2_HOME/
     axis2.xml:
          <module ref="addressing"/>
     module-default-versions:
          addressing=1.2
          security=1.0
          ...etc

Then you could continue using "addressing", and updating the default
versions file would cause the engine to select a different jar.  Is that
right?

Seems OK, if a little complex.

--Glen