axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Jordahl" <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: [Axis2] are Axis1 and Axis2 going to coexist ?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:18:30 GMT

I believe Axis 1.x is going to continue to be very important to many
people as Axis2 has stated as non-goals various things (like a
"complete" Axis specific data binding, full rpc/encoded support, etc)
that the world still needs.

There have been statements along the lines of "if you need that, why
wouldn't you use Axis1" made by some Axis2 folks (cough, Sanjiva,
cough).
:-)

Glen and I are doing our best to nudge the active developers toward
supporting most (all?) of the stuff that Axis1 does.  I for one would
like to *replace* my use of Axis with Axis2 and not lose compatibility
in my product, but get all the good stuff (WS-Security, WS-Addressing, a
decent type mapping system, really good doc/lit everything, a less
twitchy array deserializer, etc, etc).

So don't expect any serious new feature development or re-architecture
to happen on Axis1.  But also don't expect Axis2 to be a drop in
replacement for Axis1.

Did that help?  Maybe not. :-}

--
Tom Jordahl