axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Jordahl" <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: compatability problems
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:40:38 GMT
Note that the latest version of ColdFusion MX (7) has the latest version
of Axis (1.2.1).

The previous version of ColdFusion MX (6.1) has the previous release of
Axis - 1.1.

I would also be very interested in what problems you have encountered,
and how you expect other web service stacks to avoid them.

Speaking as a Macromedia employee, why are you moving away from CF?

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development - ColdFusion Architect

________________________________

From: Kurt Olsen [mailto:kolsen@ezrez.com]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 5:43 PM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: compatability problems

Hi Folks,

As you continue axis development I wanted to share the experience the
developers at our co. are having with axis.

We're sorry to report that even though axis is a powertool, and we like
it - we are about '' that close to abandoning it when communicating with
soap services due to compatability issues when doing system upgrades
etc.

For a long time our application server was/is coldfusion, which includes
axis. We are in the process of migrating off of coldfusion into a jboss
environment but we're moving the server side code first, and before long
we'll be completely off of coldfusion.

Meanwhile, every time we have to go thru a systems evolution we have to
fight, and fight hard with the axis stuff.

All manner of incompatability problems. I know there aren't easy
solutions to this kind of thing but there it is.

Out of the 20 something jars scattered about in our system the majority
of them interoperate/upgrade with few or no difficultions.

Axis unfortunately stands out as something that keeps biting back, and
ends up causing us a lot of difficulty when things change.

None of us here is an axis expert per-se, we just want to use it to make
our lives easier, but these compatability issues have irritated most
everyone here, and we've been yanking axis out of the system.....

This isn't meant as a criticism per-se, but hopefully this feedback from
the field can be used when going forward with your development.

Thanks for listening,

Kurt