axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Better Java-XML mapping
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:04:13 GMT
On 8/24/05, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> >

> >i've been playing around with some code for a day or two
> >(http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/tool.html). it's just hacked
> >together but hopefully it'll serve as an illustration and act as a
> >lightning rod for ideas. (it'll try to explain where i see it fitting
> >into the bigger picture later.) so please criticise the concepts not
> >the coding :)
> >

> Looks very cool to me, Robert! It'd be easy to translate your
> <class-model> structure into JiBX binding terms, too.

hoped that'd be the case :)

about half of betwixt is about the introspection and there's a lot
there that can be very productively mined. i'd see the import process
as being pluggable so support can be added for other formats. for
example, annotated classes or the looser style of mappings that most
betwixt users adopt (these are partly specific and partly guessed).

> I've thought about the issue of sample instances you mention on the
> page, but don't have any good answers. It'd be easy to do something for
> simple bean/struct classes - but that breaks down when you get to
> complex structures (think hashmaps, for instance). Allowing serialized
> instances to be loaded is the only thing I can think of that will work
> over a wide range of objects. Or perhaps unmarshalling an XML document
> to create instances? That way people could generate an initial XML and
> start editing it, then have the changes reflected in the object state.

yep

instance population isn't core so i don't think that a good bean
editor needs to be a priority. probably needs to be pluggable. that
way, it'd easy to add support for third party tools. i've experimented
with dynamically loading a user specified factory class and this
approach works but feels a little clumsy. i do like seeing the example
populated and IMHO we have enough ideas to justify adding this
feature.

- robert