axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Better Java-XML mapping
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:52:38 GMT
Dennis Sosnoski wrote:

> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>

>> i've been playing around with some code for a day or two
>> (http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/tool.html). it's just hacked
>> together but hopefully it'll serve as an illustration and act as a
>> lightning rod for ideas. (it'll try to explain where i see it fitting
>> into the bigger picture later.) so please criticise the concepts not
>> the coding :)
>>

> Looks very cool to me, Robert! It'd be easy to translate your
> <class-model> structure into JiBX binding terms, too.
>
> I've thought about the issue of sample instances you mention on the
> page, but don't have any good answers. It'd be easy to do something
> for simple bean/struct classes - but that breaks down when you get to
> complex structures (think hashmaps, for instance). Allowing serialized
> instances to be loaded is the only thing I can think of that will work
> over a wide range of objects. Or perhaps unmarshalling an XML document
> to create instances? That way people could generate an initial XML and
> start editing it, then have the changes reflected in the object state.

I think editing the initial XML then marshalling it is probably the best
way. Although I'm not convinced that something more than sample values
are needed to see what the XML looks like.

If this tool is integrated tightly with an IDE there are probably some
good components that we could leverate to allow inspection of types like
HashMaps or beans.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse