axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Jordahl" <>
Subject RE: [Axis2] File Caching for Attachments
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:29:37 GMT

+1 to solving the cleanup problem.

It would also be great to have a size threshold - anything over X
K-bytes will be streamed to disk, otherwise we handle it in memory.  A
reasonable default should be used and of course it should be user

Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

-----Original Message-----
From: Davanum Srinivas []
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 6:41 PM
To:; Thilina Gunarathne
Subject: Re: [Axis2] File Caching for Attachments

Check Axis 1.X, see how the temp directory is used to store
attachments when the working directory is not specified. Also in a
servlet environment we should not clutter the bin directory with

Not cleaning up attachments has been a *****LONG***** standing problem
with Axis 1.X, So PLEASE think of a way to do it and API to do it
explicitly (both on client and server).

On 7/28/05, Thilina Gunarathne <> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I implemented a  temporary file caching solution for Axis2.With this
> we'll be able to directly pump the mime parts in incoming stream to
> temporary files, without buffering them at all in memory. We achieve
> this by parsing the part headers by our selves and then writing the
> rest of the part to a temporary file till we reach the boundary...
> Anybody can switch on file caching from the server.xml. When it's set
> to true all the parts will get stored as files.. Also one can specify
> the directory where attachments should be stored..
> When it's not mentioned we are saving it in the working directory
> which is bit troublesome....
> Also is there any way to delete the temporary files after consuming
> thanx & regards,
> ~Thilina
> --
> "May the SourcE be with u"