axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Jordahl" <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: [axis2] simple data binder
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:31:05 GMT
Hummm.

I think I see what you are driving at Sanjiva, and I can agree with it
to a point.  But it seems to me that you may be taking the religion you
have gotten ("XML is all") to the extreme. :-)

My personal hopes for Axis2 are that it will support WSDL 2.0 plus all
the other stuff like WSA and MTOM, and especially fix our typemapping
system from Axis 1.x. I also would like to get full XML Schema support
in WSDL2Java, so we can map almost any Schema to code. I know that this
doesn't even come close to your vision.  But as you have said, there is
no reason why Axis2 can't accomplish these goals, but just don't stuff
all that in to the core.

What I *do* think we need to preserve in the project is a pragmatic
sense of what needs to be there and work to make Axis2 useful to
developers who are looking for an open source library that helps them
use Web Services.  If we give them just AXIOM, it doesn't give them
much.  We might as well have stuck with Message based (XML-in/XML-out)
services that Axis pre-1.0 did just fine.  An XML parser can take apart
a SOAP envelope just fine.  Why go further?

So in that respect, Axis2 is going to have to do things that Axis1 does:
Unwrap doc/lit services, handle RPC encoding, generate usable stubs from
WSDL 1.1 - basically replace Axis1 but do it better and with a more
advanced support of the latest 'stuff'.

That is why I like seeing lists of concrete stuff from Glen that address
these needs.

Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development