axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Deepal Jayasinghe" <dee...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [axis2] Exploded directory support
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:49:22 GMT
Hi Glen

see my comments below;

Thanks,
 Deepal
~Future is Open~

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glen Daniels" <glen@thoughtcraft.com>
To: <axis-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 7:05 PM
Subject: [axis2] Exploded directory support

> Hey folks:
>
> I notice that we don't seem to support exploded directories yet.  Is
> anyone working on this?  We should be able to just drop a directory
> structure like
>
>   echo/
>     META-INF/service.xml
>     classes/echo.class
>     lib/support.jar
>     modules/

+1 for the proposal, I was thinking to work on that since we can change some
of service parameters and properties through web admin and when the system
restart they will be not visible . So I really need to make them
persistence. I will implement that for .95 for sure .

Do we really need to have modules inside the service archive file, why do
not we go and drop that into repository/modules directory.

If you drop a service archive with above structure (except modules/) that is
working fine.

> underneath $AXIS/services/, and have the deployer treat it exactly the
> same as if the same files were compressed into "echo.aar".

+1 , and I think we should follow the way that the tomcat is doing , I mean
if some one drop a .aat or .jar we first extract that and work with
extracted folder.

> Also, should we really have the service name in the service.xml file at
> all?

If some one want to service name to be any other name than archive name,
then he can put that in service name in service.xml

Why not just use the name of the directory/archive?  Right now we
> have an opportunity for conflicts, which would be resolved for us by the
> file system if we were to simply use the file name as the service name.

 Agreed , and which was there before M1 release and when we come to M2 we
gave that option too (specifiyng the service name in service.xml)

>  It also would simplify the work a deployer needs to do, and make it easy
> to rename services (just rename the dir/file).  Thoughts?

yup , sound good.