axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Venkat Reddy <vred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] CHANGE : Components vs. Services?
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:15:10 GMT
"Component" seems to be alright for me to mean something which offers
one or more services. Remember COM components, which were
QueryInterface'd to see if they spoke a specific language (or
interface) and get connected to the right interface :-)

As an analogy, the fact that a java component (class) can implement
multiple interfaces, and if we see each interface as a separate
service, then the component is of larger granularity than a service /
interface. I agree that we are running out of popular dictionary
words, and "component" is also used to mean bits and pieces that
implement a business functionality such as EJBs, JSPs, which is fine
too :-)

- venkat

On 7/19/05, Glen Daniels <glen@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> Well, the idea is not really to have a /new/ thing which is in addition to
> our current service concept, it's to enable the current thing to support
> multiple WSDL services... so calling it something like "ServiceGroup" or
> "ServiceCollection" is, I think, a little weird for people who want to do
> the simple case of just deploying a single service.
>
> "AxisAssembly" isn't bad, but not perfect either.  I still think "Component"
> is better.
>
> --Glen

 We could allow