axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Srinath Perera <hemap...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Google Summer of Code - Binary XML Serialization - Weekly Schedule
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:08:34 GMT
Hi Dennis;

Actually real interst of Axis2 was to use a *Typed* Stax
implementation! But maybe now we have deviated too much by now.

We can convert the typed values to strings and use them with our
current model. But then we do not gain by using a typed
represnetation.

Others what do you think?

Thanks
Srinath

On 7/14/05, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> wrote:
> Hi Srinath,
>
> I understand the approach, but just don't see how you can do that with
> DFDL. DFDL describes structured binary data. You could probably do some
> sort of SOAP-like protocol variation to support it, but AFAIKS it
> wouldn't be using anything like StAX - it'd require a typed binary
> interface, rather than an XML Infoset interface. DFDL seems much closer
> to Sun's "FAST" Web Services project, which uses ASN.1 encoding with
> binary transfers of object data (as opposed to the Fast Infoset version,
> which is an encoding of XML data). That seems to require much deeper
> structural changes than just using a different StAX reader/writer
> implementation.
>
>   - Dennis
>
> Srinath Perera wrote:
>
> >Hi Dennis;
> >Just to add some info, we are thinking about adding the binary supportby writing
a impl forStax readers and writers works on top of binary protocol. As Axis2reads and writes
using stax .. will not notice any differance.
> >ThanksSrinath
> >On 7/13/05, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> wrote:> Hi Mark,> >
I've been ignoring the Axis/Axis2 lists for a while, so I may have> missed some earlier
discussions on this - can you give the reason for> choosing these two approaches in particular?
I'd personally love to see> a comparison between the XBIS format I originated (http://www.xbis.org)>
and Fast Infoset. Both of these deal with XML-based representations,> while DFDL (as I
understand it) is strictly binary. Since DFDL doesn't> really relate to XML at all it seems
like it'd be difficult to fit it> into the Axis2 structure (including AXIOM) in any reasonable
manner.> >   - Dennis> > Mark Pimentel wrote:> > >Hi everyone,> >I'm
Mark Pimentel, a computer engineering student from CarnegieMellon, and I'm currently doing
a Google Summer of Code(code.google.com) project with Apache Axis 2 on binary XMLserialization.
 My original proposal is located online athttp://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mpimente/MarkPimentel-SummerOfCode.pdf.
 My project mentor for this project is Eran Chinthaka.> >I had some delay in getting
started, so I've had to push some itemsback on my weekly schedule.  The updated schedule is
as follows:> >> >WEEKLY SCHEDULEMark Pimentel, Google Summer of Code 2005>
>Week of July 10thConclude research of different formats.  Will submit a documentoutlining
the major aspects of the two representations that I will belooking into—Fast Infoset &
DFDL.  Am currently targeting Fast Infosetas the first schema to implement, and DFDL as the
second.> >Week of July 17th Begin implementing a StAX parser to write binary XML data
using theFast Infoset standard.  This week, I will concentrate on writing theparser and achieving
some type of module with binary serializationfunctionality.> >Week of July 24thWill
continue to adapt parser to handle the Fast Infoset standard. Most of the work this week will
be towards expanding supportedlanguage.> >Week of July 31thThe goal for this week is
to clean up the first parser code, andperform more extensive testing.  I will also prepare
any progressreport information needed by the Google Summer of Code program.> >Week of
August 3rdBegin development of parser for DFDL standard.  If similar parts ofthe parser from
the first can be used, then work from later weeks canbe started.> >Week of August 14thWill
continue fleshing out and expanding DFDL support.> >Week of August 21stAiming for more
definite testing and verification of second parser. If time permits, I will also start on
a third parser.> >Week of August 28thImplementation of third representation, if possible.
 Otherwise,return to first two parsers to ensure correctness and correct anyremaining integration
issues.> >> >Thanks,Mark> >> >> >>