axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Srinath Perera <hemap...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Google Summer of Code - Binary XML Serialization - Weekly Schedule
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 03:55:28 GMT
Hi Dennis;

Just to add some info, we are thinking about adding the binary support
by writing a impl for
Stax readers and writers works on top of binary protocol. As Axis2
reads and writes using stax .. will not notice any differance.

Thanks
Srinath

On 7/13/05, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I've been ignoring the Axis/Axis2 lists for a while, so I may have
> missed some earlier discussions on this - can you give the reason for
> choosing these two approaches in particular? I'd personally love to see
> a comparison between the XBIS format I originated (http://www.xbis.org)
> and Fast Infoset. Both of these deal with XML-based representations,
> while DFDL (as I understand it) is strictly binary. Since DFDL doesn't
> really relate to XML at all it seems like it'd be difficult to fit it
> into the Axis2 structure (including AXIOM) in any reasonable manner.
>
>   - Dennis
>
> Mark Pimentel wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> >I'm Mark Pimentel, a computer engineering student from CarnegieMellon, and I'm currently
doing a Google Summer of Code(code.google.com) project with Apache Axis 2 on binary XMLserialization.
 My original proposal is located online athttp://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mpimente/MarkPimentel-SummerOfCode.pdf.
 My project mentor for this project is Eran Chinthaka.
> >I had some delay in getting started, so I've had to push some itemsback on my weekly
schedule.  The updated schedule is as follows:

> >WEEKLY SCHEDULEMark Pimentel, Google Summer of Code 2005
> >Week of July 10thConclude research of different formats.  Will submit a documentoutlining
the major aspects of the two representations that I will belooking into—Fast Infoset &
DFDL.  Am currently targeting Fast Infosetas the first schema to implement, and DFDL as the
second.
> >Week of July 17th Begin implementing a StAX parser to write binary XML data using
theFast Infoset standard.  This week, I will concentrate on writing theparser and achieving
some type of module with binary serializationfunctionality.
> >Week of July 24thWill continue to adapt parser to handle the Fast Infoset standard.
Most of the work this week will be towards expanding supportedlanguage.
> >Week of July 31thThe goal for this week is to clean up the first parser code, andperform
more extensive testing.  I will also prepare any progressreport information needed by the
Google Summer of Code program.
> >Week of August 3rdBegin development of parser for DFDL standard.  If similar parts
ofthe parser from the first can be used, then work from later weeks canbe started.
> >Week of August 14thWill continue fleshing out and expanding DFDL support.
> >Week of August 21stAiming for more definite testing and verification of second parser.
If time permits, I will also start on a third parser.
> >Week of August 28thImplementation of third representation, if possible.  Otherwise,return
to first two parsers to ensure correctness and correct anyremaining integration issues.