axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Google Summer of Code - Binary XML Serialization - Weekly Schedule
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 06:50:48 GMT
Hi Mark,

I've been ignoring the Axis/Axis2 lists for a while, so I may have
missed some earlier discussions on this - can you give the reason for
choosing these two approaches in particular? I'd personally love to see
a comparison between the XBIS format I originated (http://www.xbis.org)
and Fast Infoset. Both of these deal with XML-based representations,
while DFDL (as I understand it) is strictly binary. Since DFDL doesn't
really relate to XML at all it seems like it'd be difficult to fit it
into the Axis2 structure (including AXIOM) in any reasonable manner.

  - Dennis

Mark Pimentel wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>I'm Mark Pimentel, a computer engineering student from CarnegieMellon, and I'm currently
doing a Google Summer of Code(code.google.com) project with Apache Axis 2 on binary XMLserialization.
 My original proposal is located online athttp://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mpimente/MarkPimentel-SummerOfCode.pdf.
 My project mentor for this project is Eran Chinthaka.
>I had some delay in getting started, so I've had to push some itemsback on my weekly schedule.
 The updated schedule is as follows:

>WEEKLY SCHEDULEMark Pimentel, Google Summer of Code 2005
>Week of July 10thConclude research of different formats.  Will submit a documentoutlining
the major aspects of the two representations that I will belooking into—Fast Infoset &
DFDL.  Am currently targeting Fast Infosetas the first schema to implement, and DFDL as the
second.
>Week of July 17th Begin implementing a StAX parser to write binary XML data using theFast
Infoset standard.  This week, I will concentrate on writing theparser and achieving some type
of module with binary serializationfunctionality.
>Week of July 24thWill continue to adapt parser to handle the Fast Infoset standard. Most
of the work this week will be towards expanding supportedlanguage.
>Week of July 31thThe goal for this week is to clean up the first parser code, andperform
more extensive testing.  I will also prepare any progressreport information needed by the
Google Summer of Code program.
>Week of August 3rdBegin development of parser for DFDL standard.  If similar parts ofthe
parser from the first can be used, then work from later weeks canbe started.
>Week of August 14thWill continue fleshing out and expanding DFDL support.
>Week of August 21stAiming for more definite testing and verification of second parser.
If time permits, I will also start on a third parser.
>Week of August 28thImplementation of third representation, if possible.  Otherwise,return
to first two parsers to ensure correctness and correct anyremaining integration issues.