axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Jordahl" <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: Feature Request: Use of XML Schema for Interface Restrictions
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:26:49 GMT
Jan,

This is a long standing enhancement request to Axis 1.x.

We have no plans to address this in Axis 1.x, as Axis 2.0 will interface to various data binding
libraries (XMLBeans, JAXB, etc) and we expect that they would be able to support the enforcement
of Schema restrictions.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

________________________________

From: Jan.Wegener@bertelsmann.de [mailto:Jan.Wegener@bertelsmann.de]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 3:38 AM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Feature Request: Use of XML Schema for Interface Restrictions

 -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von:    Wegener, Jan, DCO
Gesendet:       Donnerstag, 28. Juli 2005 09:31
An:     'axis-dev@ws.apache.org'

Hello there,

currently the types generated in the wsdl are just the simple type mappings like Java:String
to XML:String.

So if you want to restrict the type to certain values you either have to manually modify the
wsdl or write the checks in Java Code.

Wouldn´t it be nice to generate some restrictions from the given interface?
A possible solution could be to use annotations in the interface to define some basic restrictions:

@argumentLength(7, 1) to define a maximum length of seven for the first argument of the method
annotated
@argumentPattter("*foobar*", 1) to define a pattern for String arguments

The goal is to be able to use the possibilities of XML Schema better for defing the Web Service
Interface with minimal manual modification since you want to write java code and generate
all needed XML out of your interface. Because writing/modifying WSDL Files by hand is quite
error-prone since the wsdl can become pretty complicated.

greetings

Jan Wegener
IT Architecture & Systems
arvato direct services